Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right, seems through ignorance I've bought a cheap (gates) belt kit which has 4 identical idlers

So I need to replace the ones on the tensioners but can the pressed in bolts be replaced? A nut and bolt maybe?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I Think all the kits are like that. The kit from Dayco is like that as well. You can get the bolt out but i was not happy with that so i got two new complete tensioners.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well that's them swapped, the amount of blunt force required to get the pins out convinced me refitting them with a similar amount of blunt force with hold together just fine :)

K

·
0 Posts
you get the pulleys off the tensioners?

i too bought a gates set but was going to leave the old tensioner one on, due to it looking and feeling good but also as it looked the wrong size to the new one.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes, pulleys off the tensioners, placed it over a deep 17mm socket and knocked the pin out from the back with a large punch...

I had to replace mine, they were spinning far to freely to give me confidence it would last to the next change, I'd nothing to loose realy as I have a spare set as well ;)

K

·
0 Posts
just an interference fit in the tensioner body then :confused:

tempted to leave mine alone, they feel perfect, no play or notchyness, just as smooth as the new ones. may well have been changed recently :confused:

just when i looked at them the centre of the bearing looked a lot bigger than the replacement ones in the box :confused: guess you knock the pin out then the pulley/bearing comes off the other way, trapped between the pin head and the tensioner body?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right on all counts, interference fit only but a damn tight one, given there is no tension load on the pin I am utterly confident it isn't going to come out.

Before worrying to much consider how long they have been in there without causing any stress why should they cause a problem in the future?

K

·
0 Posts
might give it a go tomorrow night then, maybe press them out in my little bench press i use for bearings.

guess the procedure is to press the pin out through the pulley, socket on pulley front and push the locating pin out from behind the cast tensioner body.

while i'm happy the old ones would be fine it makes sense to fit the new ones as i have them :cool:

cheers for the info :thumbs:

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
guess the procedure is to press the pin out through the pulley, socket on pulley front and push the locating pin out from behind the cast tensioner body.
a press? you're dead posh ;) I used my best pal, 1 1/2 lb lump hammer :lol:

but yes, support the front of the bearing using a deep socket, I used a 17mm and push the pin out from behind taking note of washers and in true Haynes fashion, refitting is reverse of removal :cheese:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi Kev

Last time I changed a set of these I warmed up the cast tensioner bodies to expand a bit & make it an easier job to get apart - then put the pin in the freezer and warmed up body again to put back together again.

New project looks like it should be fun when all done - maybe come and race it with ARCA when done ??

Gary

·
Registered
725 Posts
I have changed the belts and tensioners with a Gates kit this week as well. My 16v engine had 4 plastic pulleys on cast iron mountings. The pulleys simply unbolt and the centre bolts pushed out easily without a hammer or press. They were what I would call a tight sliding fit!
2 of the old pulleys had rough bearings which were causing a 'chattering' noise when the engine was running. The bearings are 6301-2RS and are readily available for around £3.50 each. I bought a pair of FAG ones from Ebay for £7.50 delivered.
The old bearings pushed out using a vice with a 22mm socket on the bearing and the other side supported with a 38mm socket. I warmed the plastic pulley with a hot air gun to 'hot to the hand' and the new bearings pushed in easily using the same method. When the plastic cools down the bearing is gripped securely again.
Probably not as good as completely new, but worth it for a spare set.
Cheers,
Mark

K

·
0 Posts
got them done tonight, all sorted :cool:

my press is like most of my tools, home made :D

simple device, just some welded together sections of heavy steel that make the press frame then a bottle jack to provide the ram effect.

selection of sockets etc make the rest up, gives a bit more control than a hammer :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts