Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hate to mention it but there could be some 166s heading for scrap under the new system. I don't suppose anyone on here is considering it but some of the poorer examples could go that way now that the 166 is 10 years old...

My Super will be 10 years old in June, therefore making it 'worth' £2K. I suppose one could then remove valuable items - CD changer, Nav reader, Loudlink, perhaps even the alloys (!) - and make another £500 or so, thereby gaining a total of £2500 for a car which might sell privately for £1500.

However, personally speaking, it still doesn't make sense because the savings which can be made by buying nearly new or secondhand completely outweigh the benefit of an extra grand or so under this system! eg.

Scrappage:
Alfa Romeo 166 Super £2K
Citroen C6 2.7 HDi Exclusive £35K
Total to pay £33K

Secondhand
Alfa Romeo 166 Super £1K
Citroen C6 2.7 HDi Exclusive £14K
Total to pay £13K

What a deal, only £20K more... :lol:

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I started to think the same thing, not about my car, but about 10year old cars in general. Does this scheme not also increase the value of 2nd hand cars?
ie if i had a 10yr old car, that was worth £1000, would I not be able to sell it for more due to this scheme?

Also what are the rules on time of ownership? do you need to have owned the car for a while to qualify? or could i go out and buy a banger, and get £2k discount from a new car?

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
need to have owned the car for a year i think, and it needs to be MOT'd and taxed

its totally pointless unless you need a 1.0 litre runabout

how many people who are currently driving 10 year old cars are going to suddenly think its value for money to spend anonther 20k to get a new big car ? surely one big plus to owning a 10 yr old car is laughing at those who loose thausands in depreciation every 6 months

·
Registered
28,482 Posts
There has been a LOAD of Garages down here advertising the " £ 2000 Government Scrappage Scheme "......BUT, saying you don't HAVE to buy a new Car, you can choose any Second Hand Car, and get the £2000 off, don't know if they have found a loophole !!!!!.......:) :)

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
There has been a LOAD of Garages down here advertising the " £ 2000 Government Scrappage Scheme "......BUT, saying you don't HAVE to buy a new Car, you can choose any Second Hand Car, and get the £2000 off, don't know if they have found a loophole !!!!!.......:) :)
Sounds like buyer beware there, unless they have found a loophole - DirectGov website says it only applies to new cars declared new at first registration with no former keepers, registered from mid-may onwards. Theory is "second-hand" means '09 dealer registered cars which the dealer decides will sell with scrappage scheme & discount (think how much dealers knock off new cars anyway after marking them up), under the scheme they'll get £2k back, so they're quids in

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
need to have owned the car for a year i think, and it needs to be MOT'd and taxed

its totally pointless unless you need a 1.0 litre runabout

how many people who are currently driving 10 year old cars are going to suddenly think its value for money to spend anonther 20k to get a new big car ? surely one big plus to owning a 10 yr old car is laughing at those who loose thausands in depreciation every 6 months
I agree completely! This is the biggest "non-story" ever! Initially I was worried because however bad the problem is for 166s, there are very few 164s that go for £2k!!! However, it now transpires that:
(a) you need to have already owned the car for a year at the time you apply
(b) The scheme will only run for a year (or less if the funding runs out early), so you can't just go out and buy an old knacker to get £2k off a new car.
(c) As you say, it needs to be taxed and tested.
(d) The government only puts in £1k and expects the dealer to put in "up to £1k" against your new car.

When you consider that in this current financial climate, a dealer will probably knock AT LEAST £1k off the list price of a new car just because you've walked into the showroom, they're actually going to make extra money on this scheme - chances are, you could haggle a lot more than £1k off a half reasonable new car before this scheme started!

An as you say, who the hell drives a 10 year old knacker and then buys a new car?!

There's a certain irony here! Part of the reason (we're told), that we're all in this "credit crunch" mess is because people have been over-reaching themselves on credit. If that's true, the very LAST thing we ought to be doing is incentivising people who can't afford new cars to go out an get themselves in debt just because the government's going to knock a measly Grand off a new car!

Oh, and they're putting VAT back up in the autumn too!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
teh Gov't still make money out of the scheme despite giving you £1000, as VAT levied on a car costing £10k is £1500 (keeping the maths easy), the Chancellor is still making £500, obviously more so at 166 sort of level :mad:

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
trying to sell a 166 for 1500 pounds is very difficult
£1500 isn't much for a good 166 Super with history, though, is it Stu?! There are very few around for less than that and those which are very cheap are generally money pits!

There has been a LOAD of Garages down here advertising the " £ 2000 Government Scrappage Scheme "......BUT, saying you don't HAVE to buy a new Car, you can choose any Second Hand Car, and get the £2000 off
The government has nailed it down with too many pre-requirements, as detailed in other posts. I suspect the dealer in question is simply offering £2K minimum p/ex, which means their secondhand prices are marked up accordingly!

There's a certain irony here! Part of the reason (we're told), that we're all in this "credit crunch" mess is because people have been over-reaching themselves on credit... If that's true, the very LAST thing we ought to be doing is incentivising people who can't afford new cars to go out an get themselves in debt just because the government's going to knock a measly Grand off a new car!
Well put! It's typical of the hypocrisy surrounding both the credit crunch and 'green' issues.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Better deals than £2k for your 10 year old car - Alfa will give you £4k off some cars, £1k gov. & £3k Alfa. BUT this basicallly means anyone will get the £3k off I would say - Main point being who with a 10 year old car worth under £1k is in the market for a new car?

I have heard though that a Kia Picanto (or something like that) can be had under this scheme for less than £4k with finance at £41/month - Don't all rush at once now! :D

·
Registered
10,889 Posts
Excellent thread guys.
Yet another ill thought out scheme.
As a 2 car (Only counting me 166's:D ;) the vauxhalls dont coont.) almost 10 years old....does it go from date of manufacture or date of registration as the doon the tubes road tax fiasco.

Well with all that money going back intae the pot from those intergrity mp's they cam have my 2 for 60k and then i'll buy a scrapper and sit in it on the driveway with a big HD plasma on the National geography channel and see the world in style witjout even moving.

Perhaps I'll jist keep mine and ,with the 10k plus to waste on a purchase of a lump of newer metal ,jist keep filling the tank on the interest.Only thing is you need the lump sum in the first place.

I'll see the world in style from the drivers seat of my 166's. for as long as I can.

Pomeo

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
The two cars in my household are teetering just under the £2k mark in value but like everyone says if you had the money to buy a brand new car you probably wouldn't be running around in a £2k car.

I'd happily get shot of the 5 series as it's a lump but the wives Corrado is another story as it's in excellent condition for a 17 year old car and only has 85k miles on the clock. It could be a good selling point though to get the value bumped up in a private sale if it was worth around £1.5k:
'well I've been offered £2k for it from the dealer as a trade in but it seems to good to scrap, although money is money after all.'

Seriously though, I wouldn't even contemplate trading in an interesting car if I thought it was going to be crushed and I'm sure thousands of others out there wouldn't either.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alfa will give you £4k off some cars, £1k gov. & £3k Alfa. BUT this basicallly means anyone will get the £3k off I would say
Exactly.

I have heard that a Kia Picanto can be had under this scheme for less than £4k
Small, cheap cars are likely to be the biggest beneficiaries of this system. Moving from a 166 to a Picanto would be quite a shock, though! Actually, I drove a rental Picanto in Spain...wonder what it would be like doing the UK-Berlin or Berlin-Toscana trip, though?! :lol:

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
As quoted from the article:

"When choosing a new vehicle, motorists should ensure they research the rate of depreciation of their desired new car, as research highlights how some of the top 10 most-popular vehicles hold their value far better than others. Any motorists tempted to take advantage of the scheme should research the cost of insuring their desired new vehicle as a matter of priority, as the cost could be significantly higher than they are currently paying for their old banger"

Well we know our Alfas so it will be less than 88 days, probably about 10-15 days on average!

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
Don't want to encourage anyone to scrap their Alfas....unless I buy 'em to break for spares:lol: ...but if you have an old non-Alfa that you've owned for over a year and it is SORNed, the requirement for tax 'n' test is apparently waived......

And of course if you don't have such a car, but you know someone who does, there is no block to them getting the deal and then immediately passing on the new car to you....apart from your new car having another name on the logbook....and provided you trust the other guy not to keep the new car, of course.......

None of which overwhelms the argument about the depreciation outweighing the scrappage savings, of course. And I understand that Alfa are only offering the best deals ( £1K govt scrappage plus extra "dealer discount" over and above the basic £1K) on the "run-out" models - the Brera 2.2 and Q4, and the Spider 2.2. All else is the basic £2K, AFAIK.

·
Registered
674 Posts
H
Scrappage:
Alfa Romeo 166 Super £2K
Citroen C6 2.7 HDi Exclusive £35K
Total to pay £33K

Secondhand
Alfa Romeo 166 Super £1K
Citroen C6 2.7 HDi Exclusive £14K
Total to pay £13K
Coincidentally I've been thinking the same thing about my 166 and a Citroën C6 2.7HDi. On paper it has similar performance to the 166. Have you driven one yet?

·
Registered
12 Posts
went to the scrappy 2day to pick up some parts for a mates car and happened to see a 3.0 V6 166. the bodywork and interior were in mint condition and nothing is wrong with the engine. must have been scrapped for this reason. It has black leather in perfect condition. such a shame to see it at the scrappy.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts