Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can ony knowledgeable person enlighten me as to why there was never a 166 GTA.
Not that I am snooty or snobby BUTT the GTA section who have repeatedly denied my attempts to encroach in their area wie my two V6's gta's IMHO have a lovely wee ffrread going listing current and past GTA's.

Pomeo
PS Not there is out wrong wie twinkles as I am now considering a nice F/L twinkle if one comes up.( At the right price of course.)

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 166 GTA, GTA flywheel, clutch, zender kit.....alloys etc..
Well that#'s goat me banging my tambourine and singing

Go and join then go and join them etc

See ewe back soon Eshy.

Pomeo

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Can ony knowledgeable person enlighten me as to why there was never a 166 GTA.
There was never a "GT GTA" or a "GTV GTA" or a "Spider GTA" either.
Instead they were just called "GT 3.2v6", etc..

It is just marketing.
Like the 166 3.2v6 their 3.2v6 were listed as 240hp despite being identical to the 147/156GTA 250hp. Purely marketing.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Strictly speaking the 156 and 147 GTA aren't GTAs either, there is nothing lightweight about either car, it's just a marketing exercise to introduce an air of specialness to a car that, lets face it, in standard form... aint that special.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Strictly speaking the 156 and 147 GTA aren't GTAs either, there is nothing lightweight about either car, it's just a marketing exercise to introduce an air of specialness to a car that, lets face it, in standard form... aint that special.
Always thought this. Marketing over history. It would have made more sense to have had a GTA 156/147 with a lightweight turbo engine and loads of carbon. Cloverleaf would have made more sense for the 3.2 V6. But when Alfa have turned ti into nothing more than a sports trim specification, it kind of makes you realise just how far they have lost their way...

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Gta engines are further tuned as far as I am aware, they are 250bhp rather then 240bhp.
As I said, the engines are exactly the same.
The marketing dept may want you to think otherwise, but they are exactly the same.
The only difference is that the GTA ones say "GTA" on top...

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I've seen a dyno test first hand on a standard GTV 3.2 and a standard 156 GTA giving similar results (around 254 bhp). Don't forget the GTV 3.2 was the fastest road going Alfa Romeo before the 8C arrived on the scene.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Interesting!

The should have done the fully kitted zender 166 badged up cloverleaf I think!
Yes I always thought it was a shame they never did a cloverleaf version too of the 166, like the 164 version which still brings a wistful look from a friend of mine who once had one and still loves to wax lyricaly about how fantastic it was.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Can any knowledgeable person enlighten me as to why there was never a 166 GTA?
There was little enough market for the 166 anyway, without the importer struggling to sell a "sports saloon" version; there's no way they'd get either Alfa to agree to build them, or convince enough customers to buy them. At least the 156 was racing, which gave the normal versions some halo effect & created some showroom traffic. The 166 got the engine, which is the key bit; adding the GTA badge would only confuse people. The Cloverleaf badge may have made more sense, but it never really made any sense to the majority of car buyers, sadly.

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
;)

Like Wincy Willis in Dye Hard...Now I have a machine gun Ho Ho Ho.

Wonder if a 3.2 TI will qualify me to get into the elusive GTA lunge....Off to test the watter:cheese:

Pomeo

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Yes I always thought it was a shame they never did a cloverleaf version too of the 166, like the 164 version which still brings a wistful look from a friend of mine who once had one and still loves to wax lyricaly about how fantastic it was.
My 166 was a Cloverleaf.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts