Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all :)

My 166 constantly suffers wet footwells! Only on the passengers side :confused:

I dry them out, when the rain comes along they get damp or soaked depending on how much has rained.

For example, this is the rear passenger footwell earlier today...
Soggy floor

Are there common leaks with these cars? I though at first my matrix was gone but the coolant level has stayed the same since I bought the car.

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
There are. I think if you do a search of the 166 section you'll find them. :)

Hopefully yours is a manual and not an Auto as the heater matrix can leak onto the Autobox ECU trashing it. Replacement ECUs are rare and expensive. The workaround is to remove some interior trim around the centre console and sealing the ECU in a plastic bag (s). I think there's also a plenum or grommet in the front bulkhead that can be troublesome. I think there's also a boot seal issue, but I could be mistaken.

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
I said search the 166 section as that is what I'd have had to do. :)

I've good friends that lived in Tipperary for a while so I know how wet Eire can be. I tried to repair their slatted fence when I was last there and it was just rotten because of the damp.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Front and back passenger footwells?
Yep, mostly the front passenger footwell gets the most wet but today it was the rear passengers turn :(

I said search the 166 section as that is what I'd have had to do. :)

I've good friends that lived in Tipperary for a while so I know how wet Eire can be.
Far too wet :(

I've had a good look at some of the threads :D

My centre console is dry (I fixed one of the rear vents earlier today so had some access to the tunnel)

When I get daylight, I'll look at the condition of the grommet at the bulkhead to begin with. My rear door and quarter is damaged (by the previous owner) but I don't think this is the cause.

I'm a bit confused at the door cards though... I guess I'll have to take this off to fully understand! Is it difficult to remove?

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
A guy on here had a leak in the front passenger footwell and he couldn't trace it in the end. Funnily enough I looked at his car last Saturday as it was for sale in a breakers yard near where I lived and it still had the leak. Like you, he thought it was the matrix but his coolant level was fine.

Door cards are easy to remove but I wouldn't have thought water would be getting into the car from them. They're usually fairly reliable. This is a useful guide to get the cards off though if need be:

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-164-and-166/123971-how-to-replace-a-locking-motor.html

I know a guy who had leaks into the front footwell on a 147, 166 and lately a 159. The problem on all three was water getting in due to a break in the seal of the windscreen. Very hard to trace though - dash out job on all cars to trace.

Hopefully this isn't your problem and the bulkhead grommit is the culprit. Let us know how you get on though and good luck finding it. :thumbs:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a look the other day :)

It was surprisingly easy to get to the grommet, to me it looks like it was sealed before with silicone...
Grommet

The scuttle panel rubber strip however isn't in such good shape, could this be my problem? Either way I've sealed it temporarily with duct tape untill I find a better condition rubber strip or new one. Another car I have here is missing this rubber strip too and is also getting flooded in the passenger footwell :cry:

Rubber
Rubber 2

·
Registered
754 Posts
You can never be sure but since gravity will always send water to the footwell and it's a passenger side thing, I'd say it's the scuttle seal. Can you remove this, clean up and reattach or does it need Sikaflex or sthg?

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS
5,167 Posts
Yeah after nearly 12 months of dry carpet the rear passenger foot-well was soaked just as before today. Only thing is I have not driven it for 2 weeks so the water must coming in from the door maybe? This was what I did last time to investigate.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah after nearly 12 months of dry carpet the rear passenger footwell was soaked just as before today. Only thing is I have not driven it for 2 weeks so the water must coming in from the door maybe? This was what I did last time to investigate.
Sorry (in more than one way) for bringing this old thread back to the front again.
What did you find and where?

After an evening with torrential showers I found the car with 3cm water in the rear right passenger footwell. I suspected the door seal at first - because the door has been replaced.
I pulled the carpet and stripped the interior just like Paul, partly to see indications of water intrusion = traces of a small creek - and also to stand a chance of getting the car dry before the red worms populate the floor pan
However I only found dust underneath the carpet at the door sills.

To the classic questions - no it is not leaking from the heater matrix. Water level is steady and the area is dry, it has been a problem back in the past though.
Aircon overflow is at the drivers footwell (RHD) - and that happens to be the only dry place in floor of the car.

Pouring in a can of water underneath the recirculation intake behind the engine showed that this is drained well, could not see the drain from above - must be the aforementioned rubber hose visible from underneath?

Still, could it be through the recirc. box ? Somebody mentioned cracked or deteriorated sealing at the scuttle as a possibility - where is this?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I don't know these cars but I did have a similar experience with the family car ( Scenic ) - do you park on a slope ( nose up )?.
I do and was baffled by back seat floor wetness - turned out that the Bonnet Gutter ( below the screen ) goes to a drain tube each side,
one was blocked (leaves/dirt/insects) , backed up and dropped the water at front of the front mat which did'nt notice , because the
corragation in the floor channelled the water to the back and built up there. The front mat was lightly damp but back was puddled -just
a suggestion.....?best of luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Arghhh..... I found it, sometimes your best tool is a cleaning rag/poke around and a powerful LED torch

You are actually onto something with the slope Mexi, in this case the problem might be reduced if parked with the nose up.
Anyway... this is not a great spot for panel work :bigmouth:..... it will have to be cleaning and sealing, and sealing. Now left to dry and harden before test and re-assembly.
At least the carpets are dry now due to the unusually nice sunny weather in DK :)

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
Beware parking a 166 with nose-up! I find my 166 TS only leaks into the passenger footwell with the front pointing up. And then into the rear footwell if v bad rain. Parked pointing down / slight incline though it doesn't leak at all. Luckily we live in a hilly area so I always park it nose-down. It;s never leaked since doing this even in this recent torrential rain.

Autolusso cleared all the drains, scuttle etc a good few months ago & did the grommit thing, it did improve it a bit but it does still leak for some reason. I've just decided to keep it parked facing down & problem (kind of) solved.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
People often remove or throw away the poor looking plastic shield / thick foil over the fresh air intake. It should be attached under the windshield and covering the big flap that closes the outside air circulation over the vent. Do you have that piece?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Leak with nose down

It's funny everybody saying park the 166 with the nose down, my sons car, (166 3l sportivo) has been waiting three weeks the arrival to NZ of a couple of A arms from the UK. It's been sitting all that time with the nose down. I went to deliver the car and the A arms this morning only to discover the drivers footwell, (RHD), sloppy with water. Guess it's time to start investigating...

·
Registered
9 Posts
People often remove or throw away the poor looking plastic shield / thick foil over the fresh air intake. It should be attached under the windshield and covering the big flap that closes the outside air circulation over the vent. Do you have that piece?
Plastic shields are locked in place, but they wont prevent water from entering the compartment below the circulating box - and when streaming down the window, it will enter the corroded corner with broken sealing at the A pillar first and then enter the cabin. If it's the rearmost part of the seam which is the most corroded then it's especially likely to enter the cabin when parked nose up, otherwise it might just stream past and out the bottom drain - unless that is blocked of course

1 - 18 of 18 Posts