Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, the Fiat Coupe has to go cos a baby's on the way.

So - what to replace it with? A 166 or a Saab 9-5? Both similar age, size and cost. It'll be a small engine (or even a diesel in the 9-5) so the V6 soundtrack doesn't come into the equation.

Musts are:
- Comfy!
- a bit of fun
- easy to get a baby seat in / out
- must be able to get a mountain bike (with wheels and seat off)
- must be interesting (which is why i won't consider an Omega)
- drivers seat as to go up and down (for the wife...)

What do you guys reckon?

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
Rich T said:
What do you guys reckon?
:cheese:
What do you think??!!

Congrats on the news!!
:)

Just remember you don't need to go daft with the size of car. It seems to be an inbuilt reaction for most people and it's really not necessary.
:tut:
We had a Sportwagon as our main family motor when Tom was born, and now he's 3 and a half we've got a Brera.
:D

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't worry - same question going on saab forum!

I know I don't need anything massive (a 146 would do), but if the Coupe has to go, I may as well ahve something I like... a 166 for example!

Thanks for the congrats - at the mo it's :lol: and :wow: in equal measures!

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Sold my Coupe 20VT[6] last year - Replaced with the 166 V6 Super but then it has to be Italian for me! I sold my first coupe 20vt when my daughter was born but went for another when she was three (had a Sportwagon as back up though!). I find the 166 a good compromise on power and space - Are you sure it won't be a V6, are running cost really majorly different!??

Alfa surely down to cost! I know that what I paid for my 2003 166 would have been at least twice, maybe three times if it was a similar age/spec Saab 9-5!!

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
don't think it is - it's the 9-3 that is vectra underneath....is the 9-5 not a development of the old 9000 platform which was shared with the Fiat Croma and Alfa 164 and guess which was developed a bit for the 166? Maybe the 166 and 9-5 are not too distant after all! :D

·
Registered
307 Posts
Ah not strictly true niallmoran, it was delayed to get some of the niggles worked out as Alfa didn't think it was quite ready, as originally Alfa thought they'd sell more 166 than 156, oh how wrong were they! So the 156 went on sale ahead of the 166 while they sorted it out. I think they would have sold a lot more 166 in the UK if they'd sold it here with the 2.4 diesel engine,as our European cousins got!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Rich T said:
Musts are:
- a bit of fun

What do you guys reckon?

166 of corse. 10 times more fun then 9-5. and if you are going to use it on motorways for long distances it is worth taking a look at V6 ;) TS will be more economical in city, but long distances will make them very similar.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I spend a lot of time driving around town and hooning over the moors to the M1. I have to stop for petrol just before the M1 as it is so PLEASE stop trying to tempt me with a v6.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.