Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am off work today,as I look out of the window it is snowing heavily btw.
Anyway after running the Saab 9-5 for a couple of months I thought I would
post on the merits of the two models:
9-5 superb build quality and attention to detail,the best engineered cup holder
you have ever seen,single cd changer in dash,as well as 6cd in boot,,sliding
centre front armrest,the best leather front seats I have ever sat in.
Brilliant switchable auto,blistering performance from the 185 bhp lpt 2.3 turbo.
god knows what the HOT 2.3 is like!
Downsides ,poor economy 25mpg ish,driven carefully f/l t/s would do 33mpg,
handling so-so,wooly steering and would you believe no traction control!prolific
wheelspin unless driven carefully.
The nicest aspect of the car is the solid feel and everything works properly,
however I am not suggesting these are bullet proof ,as if they are not run on fully
synth. oil it can degrade ,due to the exhaust running under the slump,sludging
can occur leading to total engine failure.
However my example has been maintained by a top Saab indie,everything done
timing chains,turbo ,wheel bearings etc, I havent' picked up the bills,(about £4kish)
so for £1600 an excellent buy,similar to running a well sorted 166 3.0 you could say.
In conclusion Saab a good fast cruiser better built than the 166,but lacks the
sporting feel,I am no stranger to Saabs as I had 3 examples before turning to the
166 as they were similar in many ways,sporting 2litre fwd saloons with a unique
character of their own,so different from the competition from germany,well built
but so boring!

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Yeh id have a hot aero over a BMW or a Merc, not over a 166 tho! _ which is why i have a 166 i guess!! But I do like them! I think a Saab 95 and a 166 are more comparable then the two germans!

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Yep, good review and quite interesting to hear the comparisons. I don't know anybody who owns a modern Saab so some feedback is always interesting.

Some German cars can still be okay though. I'm still tempted by an Audi A8 2.8i Quattro Sport. I always wanted to own a car that is too big to park!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've often thought about going for a 9-5 but I just don't get excited by them. Says the man with a Rover. I bet I'd be blown away by the build quality of a 9-5, I'm used to Rover 800 fastbacks which have the structural rigidity of a flaccid balloon. I was amazed at how well built I thought 166's were. So lord knows what a 9-5's like.

Maybe I'll have one of the super-mega ones one day.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I actually think my 166 had better build quality than my current 9-5 Aero. The Saab is not bad at all, i just thought the 166 was better. My '96 9000CS was had better build than the later '02 9-5.
The Saabs do just run and run, my 9000 had 145k on and ran perfectly when i sold it and the current Aero has 92k and is fine. Lots of good indies for saabs aswell.
High spec 9-5's, especially Aero's are very good value 2nd hand as well, a whole lot of car for the money, fast, safe, comfy, loads of kit, practical (mines an estate).
It's not a normally aspirated V6 though..........

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
I felt my 166 is better built than the 9000CSE that preceded it, but the paint on the Saab was defeinatley superior

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ok, now at the moment when in finland there is all the time -10°C and half a meter snow.
I would change alfa to any Saab i could get my hands on.
No biggies in alfa but:
- Power steering screams like a ***** first ten minutes when you start.
- Handbrake cables are frozen
- Ics seems to be working/not working
- You cant get winshieldwipers "up" in 166, terrible if you think that you have to
get the snow/ice of from the bonnet/front glass.
- Power windows/door locks seems to be working irregularly.

But in the summer time alfa is great!

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fuel economy on 2.5 and 3.0 166 manual can be surprisingly good on a run(I've had 34mpg out of them),
terrible around town,I think 24mpg is feasible in mixed driving,because Saab is an auto. I can never get
more than 25mg ,however easy I drive,probably better with 5spd. manual,my 2.0 lpt 9000 was very
economical,good point about build quality on 9000s',years ahead of anything else out there and fit and finish
would put the likes of bmw and merc to shame!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts