Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, I've just changed the belts and variator on my 2.0 Twin Spark, and the variator has made a whopping difference! I only had like a slight rattle on startup from the old variator, and a bit of a rattle from it under load at low revs. Before the car seemed slow and crap, but now it's absolutely flying! Can't believe the difference it made. Feels like another 40bhp has turned up. Was going to sell it but not sure what to do now! I was expecting just the rattle to be solved, but the extra power it's got is an added Brucie Bonus. Definitely worth doing, and managed to get a new genuine variator for less than £150 so worth the hassle.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Where did you buy your variator for that price if you don't mind me asking? They seem to be selling for around £220 - £250 and beyond currently.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, I got it from a place called Parts World UK, as attached image. Got it about a month ago, but it does say out of stock on their website now. Try ringing them maybe.

I made a video on YouTube about replacing the belts band variator if you need to see it let me know.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
189 Posts
Cheers. I use partsworld quite a bit. Think the cheapest place currently is Alfashop but it's still over £200. Good work on the video!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Sounds interesting. However a throttle reset can also make the car feel much more responsive - I wonder if you did that at the same time? This is the procedure I've used:
1. Switch on the ignition but don’t start the engine and leave for 90 seconds
2. Switch off the ignition and again leave for 90 seconds
3. Start the engine without touching the accelerator.
4. Leave engine to idle for at least ten minutes
Richard

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, unfortunately that won't fix an item that was mechanically worn out and rattling like a bag of spanners. I have in the past done what you have mentioned though, and it's never made any notable difference in my opinion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts