Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone. have been thinking of selling my bmw 523i se. and going for a alfa romeo 166 v6 super. how would you rate the alfa ? many thanks.

·
Registered
237 Posts
They are quite simply ,especially the V6,s ,Quite superb and are for the money the closest normal mortals can get to owning an exotic saloon such as a Quattroporte . The interiors have such style and are hard wearing and the V6 is more than a mere engine it has a character and soul of an italian thoroughbred no german engine can match.
The downside is they have a lot of foibles and annoying problems that can sometimes have you questioning your sanity and cursing the day that Nicola Romeo was born. They are more a hobby than transport. Oh and get a new credit card and you will make lots of new friends , All garage mechanics , recovery men and parts suppliers.

But hey who wants to run with the crowd and drive Audis , BMWs etc.:cheese:

·
Registered
432 Posts
I like them. The engine and the interior is great. Very good for long journeys too. I've been in a newer C-class Merc and BMW 1 and thought the interiors were bland, cheap and too plastic-y compared to the big Alfa. Mine's the 2.5 V6, I'm sure the 3.0 is even better.

·
Registered
873 Posts
4 years into ownership of a 3.0 Sportronic we've had no problems to speak of. Cambelt and water pump replacement was expensive but the only other expense was a stainless steel exhaust.

The car gets stared at wherever it goes and everyone lets you out of side roads. Every journey has a sense of purpose and occasion. Ownership put you in a rare and exclusive club. I got thumbs up on the M6 from both a 550 Maranello and a 911 GT3!

Then there is the engine - the Busso V6 is arguably the best petrol engine, ever.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I've been really happy with mine since changing from the 159 in the summer. She passed MOT with no problems albeit with the expense of cambelt and water pump (although those were for long-term peace of mind).

Great noise, performance and looks of course. V.comfortable too and in terms of what you get for your money, arguably one of the best cars out there in my opinion. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cheer.s pal think i might just go for it.. prob see it tomorrow. is there anything i should look out for. bodywork looks ok as does the interior. is a full service history essential . car is 99 with only 85000 and 2 owners..thanks again...

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Full service history helps as there are a fair few bits that could go wrong with a 99 model now it's nearly 13 years old. I guess if it's cheap enough though then a full history 'aint that important at that age and 2 owners could be a bonus. Just make sure it's had the belt, tensioner and idlers changed recently or if not barter some money off and get it done quick (probably around £600 including a new waterpump if you don't have the metal impellor one already fitted).

Go for it - you won't regret it.

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS
5,167 Posts
check its trim level, full electric leather seats, (no memory on 99 cars ?) dsp sound, cd player, sat nav unit etc

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I've only put up 200 odd miles in my 166 but I love it already. If you don't get a GREAT feeling when you see it and first drive it, walk away. Alfas are not for the faint hearted, and if it's not love at first sight, sound and touch, then it's probably not the car for you.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Now to give the opposite view to balance things out a bit....

Make damn sure you really want one before you buy, because you will be buying in to something that is costly to maintain, worth next to sweet FA when you come to sell, and a niche car making it potentially difficult to shift when you do want to sell it on. On the other hand, because they are so cheap, you could just buy a runner and drive it in to the ground and then weigh it in for scrap when the first expensive bill comes up (and it WILL come up).

They aren't bad cars, but they're not as amazing as some will have you think. I'm not trying to put anyone's nose out of joint, but it's horses for courses.

They aren't especially fast (due to the weight), making the terrible fuel consumption even harder to justify. You'd better wish they'd invented Stop/start technology 15 years ago, as you'll be crying every time you stop at a set of traffic lights knowing it's downing pints of unleaded faster than a rugby club consumes Stella.

The V6 feels like it's got it's hands tied behind it's back in the 166 - it's too quiet, throttle response too slow (even with STR engaged), thanks to the fly-by-wire throttle and ECU settings, and the heavy dual mass flywheel - so don't expect this to be an ideal way of experiencing the legendary Alfa V6 on the cheap, like I did!

Ride quality isn't all that, and it's a bit boat like on standard shocks and springs. And since I'm a slim guy, I find I have to stick my left knee against the centre console to support myself as I go around roundabouts, as the leather seats don't support me enough. I hate the driving position, need the seat far forward or my arms are too stretched, but then I have the steering column shroud too near my knees.

The interior is OK. I really don't see why so many people rave about it frankly. Perhaps it's nice when compared to saloons of a similar age, but it's nothing amazing IMO. Plenty of hard plastics, with the very real possibility of the plastic paint being damaged to reveal the black plastic underneath, if you have one of the models with grey or beige interior. The faux leather arm rest also has a tendency to wear at the front, and go sticky.

Somebody remind me why I bought one :D I won't be keeping mine for much longer, and I look forward to recouping perhaps one third of the money I've spent on it in the last few months just to try and get it moved on.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Faint heart never won fair maiden...........let your heart rule your head(what,s the worst thing that could happen)..dons flameproof suit ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks guys for all the replies.. the motor im lookin at. is a blue 166 on gumtree belfast. i should get a look at it later... cheer.s

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
..i'd agree they have their shortcomings, but they're an old car now so you have to be careful what you're comparing to. They aren't especially fast in a modern context, and you have to keep the engine above 3500k, but 150mph ain't slow either :) .. and yeah they are thirsty, however that final couple of thousand revs before the redline is one of the nicest experiences in motoring..

I've had my first proper breakdown this week, after three years.. split power steering pipe. Everything else has just been maintenance really. Even after 3 years i can't wait to get into the thing every day, and in all honesty as my daily car the only thing i'd bother replacing it with would be a 911.. if it works for you and you get a nice one it's a very charismatic and enjoyable car.

Suspension wear is one thing to watch for.. they should feel reasonably sharp and entertaining when they're fresh, but will feel sloppy enough if they need a revamp...

i should add that the first time i drove mine i didn't like it at all, but a couple of weeks later after i'd figured out the angles with the sportronic i was converted.. :)

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS
5,167 Posts
If anybody was to join this forum and still thought by reading the threads that the cars were perfect then fool them. However look at other car make forums and you will also find they are not perfect either.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
thanks guys for all the replies.. the motor im lookin at. is a blue 166 on gumtree belfast. i should get a look at it later... cheer.s
Is this the one?

ALFA 166 3.0 V6 SUPER 24V (SRI RS GTE GTI VR6) in Coleraine, County Londonderry | Used Alfa Romeo for sale | Gumtree.com

Certainly looks nice from a distance. Rare enough set of wheels. Blue suits the car well.

This silver one however is interesting. Only 50,000 miles? But pricey....

alfa 166 in Belfast, County Down | Used Alfa Romeo for sale | Gumtree.com

Keep in mind the cost of the timing belt replacement. Ask the fellas in the NI forum how much you should expect to pay - just in case the blue car needs to have it changed. If the suspension feels off you can expect a large labour bill as well. I'd try and get someone who knows 166s to have a look at it with you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah thats the one.are those wheels 17 or 18 .. i know these car.s wont suit everyone . but i only do around 7000 miles a year. cant remember the last time i seen one . bit of power and comfort. for little cash. ...

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
If you fancy a trip over to the mainland, mine is still up for sale. The perfect 166 - timewarp car. Will be re-advertising on Pistonheads in the new year. Currently for sale on here in the classifieds. Not the cheapest but wants for nothing and has all the right bits on it.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
1 - 20 of 48 Posts