Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm after a bit of advice, really.

My 166 2.5 V6 Sportronic is a bit lethargic off the line (i.e. from a standing start), accelerating a bit like a rubbish old turbodiesel that's not yet come on-boost. Once it's hit about 25-30 mph, like a turbodiesel, it picks up its skirts and takes off like a scalded cat. All further acceleration is handled as is to be expected from an Alfa V6 (in other words, impressively).

I just need to know whether this is a characteristic of the V6 engine when mated to the Sportronic (i.e. automatic) gearbox, or whether there's something that's not right with the car. :confused:

I'd appreciate feedback from anyone with a Sportronic-equipped 166, so I can either put the matter to bed and accept that's just the way the car is, or do something about it. :)

Cheers guys (and gals). :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
The V6 has a very smooth power delivery you really should not be comparing it to a turbo engine.

First thing is this lurch of power doesn't occur at 3,000rpm does it? If so that will indicate a failing MAF.

The auto has 4 speeds? I don't know what the gearing ratio is for first gear but it must be taller than that of the 5 or 6 speed manuals. so it will always be a little bit slower.

When I find my self lusting for power I usually find its time for an oil and air filter change!

Hope that helps.

Stuart

·
Registered
674 Posts
I've always found the auto 166 to be slow off the line. I think it is something to do with the way the 24 valve engine needs to "breathe" before the fun can start. I remember my 164 (12 valve) fondly for this. Nothing in normal driving beat it away from the lights. When I owned that car I developed the cheeky London habit of nipping into lane one at red lights and sailing past the car in lane two once they changed. When I got my 166 I foolishly assumed the same game was there for the taking but having been hung out to dry a few times I have had to concede the 166 is not happy playing this game.

I've never driven the 2.5 but from what I've heard from owners it seems to be that little bit worse again than the 3.0.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I happen to have both a turbodiesel (Citroen C5 2.2HDi) and a 166 3.0, both with the ZF 4HP20 auto/tiptronic geabox....

Its somewhat true that the C5 is slightly faster than the 166 at takeoff, but the 166 is way much better for all acceleration thereafter.... So I agree that its the way the 24v engine needs to breathe... I also recall an engineer at work claiming at 12v engines are better for taking off but 24v outrun them later as they cope better with higher revs.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
..the thing is this;

(in the 3.0 anyhow) you've got 4 gears and a top speed of 150mph (ish), so the gears are pretty long.

you've also got peak torque at 5000rpm. it's a total mis-match really, it just needs 6 gears.

anyway, when you floor it off the line the transmission seems to "lock up", so you move away on a long first gear at low revs and very little torque.. and get blown away by golfs.. :lol:

the only way around it is this;

knock the lever to the left so your in "sport". (you don't need to change manually, just have it in sport to make sure it changes up at the redline)
don't floor it initially, but progressively push the pedal down so the torque converter slips a little, which both amplifies the torque, and also gets you further up the engines’ torque curve.
Once you’re moving quickly get your foot right down to the floor and keep it there…

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments so far, guys. :thumbs:

Popular consensus seems to be that the car's take-off performance is indeed a characteristic of the 24v V6 mated to the Sportronic 'box, which I'm happy to live with, now I know there's nothing wrong with the car.

I'll also take Stu's comments on board about a service working its magic.

Many of you mentioned the 24v V6 engine needs to "breathe" before it can do its best work. Does this mean a performance air filter and/or an induction kit might help with this? Anyone use a non-standard "drop in" replacement performance air filter and notice any improvement?

·
Administrator
Alfa 159 1.9 JTDm Sportwagon
5,652 Posts
You may have already done this, but an ecu reset is also a good thing to do, my car seemed alot quicker from a standing start after doing it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've got a performance filter fitted (stainless steel cone type, the largest I could find), done away with the airbox but left the old air filter enclosure to channel cold air on the filter.

Apart from making sure people round three corners turn their heads to see whats coming before I actually appear, it does improve the engine's response especially in the higher rev band; but be sure to do an ECU reset after you install it.

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You may have already done this, but an ecu reset is also a good thing to do, my car seemed alot quicker from a standing start after doing it.
I did indeed do an ECU reset, and overall performance seemed a lot better afterwards. :thumbs:

However, I may not have left the car standing with the ignition in the 2nd position for long enough (needed to let the electronic throttle trim itself, apparently), so I think I'll give another ECU reset a go, this time following ALL the steps! :lol:

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Mine is a manual, but I find that to get a good launch requires a bit of abuse to the clutch or it can bog down like a diesel.
Also used to have a C5 2.2 HDI but a manual, that would also bog down if the revs weren't up. :)( Not sure how to spell Weren't, the Literate will find me :lol:)

Best off the line was my 1.8 146, pulled away from hardly any throttle and went like stink to about 80, sadly today she went to the scrapyard and I am very upset :cry:

·
Registered
361 Posts
It shouldn't be sluggish if you are in sports mode :confused:
But it's a 2.5 ;).

I've driven the manual and sportronic versions of the 3.0 166 and the manual box is definately quicker off the mark and has the acceleration edge all round. I agree the 24v engine makes for more power as momentum gathers, but in my opinion the sportronic box is a at least one gear short of what it should have.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
V6 only comes on song after 3000rpm.
MAF problems are usually evident in the higher rev range or a flat spot.
Try disconnecting maf to see if any improvement.
Auto box does need an extra gear and the early torque convertor lock up can stifle engine speed/power.
Have your plugs been changed in last 50k? Poor plugs more likely to cause problems at lower revs.
Check for air leaks in inlet system. Again at lower revs there is a greater risk of lean mixture if air is getting in after the maf.

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
V6 only comes on song after 3000rpm.
MAF problems are usually evident in the higher rev range or a flat spot.
Try disconnecting maf to see if any improvement.
Auto box does need an extra gear and the early torque convertor lock up can stifle engine speed/power.
Have your plugs been changed in last 50k? Poor plugs more likely to cause problems at lower revs.
Check for air leaks in inlet system. Again at lower revs there is a greater risk of lean mixture if air is getting in after the maf.
All good advice, thanks CD! :thumbs:

I'll be working my way through that list as and when time allows. :)

·
Registered
10,943 Posts
ok ok ok then

edam foo young here.

well done stu I am amazed.
i hate to ask but what are you doing with your auld air filter.

Pomeo

·
Registered
10,943 Posts
how many miles has it done?
I reckon mines may have alower mileage.
Pomeo

1 - 20 of 31 Posts