Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my current 166 3.0 Zender has a gazillion miles on it now and I feel the urge for a low mileage, well cared for 166 3.2 and I think I’ve actually found the one!
The only thing missing is the sun roof which is heart breaking because my current 166 has one and I love it!! but the rest of the 166 3.2 is just perfect so I still want it.

however: the car has no Ti specific details like the rims or the badge on the trunk or even the badging on the sill trim. Nada. But it has the Ti spec red light dials on the instrument clusters and it is a Distinctive package with the whole extra leather trim om door sides and the whole dash!
So is it likely to be a Ti or was the red back lit dials available on the standard spec?
It only has 50000 miles on it and haven’t been used in winter for many years. A true keeper but it’d be fun if it was a Ti on top of that!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Wow, 50k miles is so low, it sounds like a great find (y) . I thought about buying a 166 3.2 manual in Europe as there are far more for sale than in the UK of course, and LHD really doesn't bother me.... but they're also a lot more expensive than here second-hand! Obviously it's much more appreciated over in Europe than in Britain.....

The 166 Ti pack had the following upgrades over the Lusso (this is the UK spec from the brochure):

• lowered suspension
  • 18" Ti wheels
  • Ti badge on boot
  • Alfa logo embossed into the black leather seats
  • special Ti branded aluminium door sills
  • Ti logo on central console
  • red lighting for the instrument panel & switchgear

.... the "Ti pack" cost an extra £2000.00 back in 2004 over here o_O. But they are very tasty upgrades :cool:.

As far as I know the red lighting was only on the Ti version, but possibly a previous owner just put red bulbs in himself, it's an easy "upgrade". It does look great with red lighting - I'm thinking of doing the same on mine.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I have a good friend to thank for finding me this one. Has been in warm storage the last couple of years with a battery charger connected. Hasn’t seen road salt in Sweden, used for a day ir two last year and runs well but has just sat there so when I contacted the owner explaining that I’m looking for a pristine 166 3.2 to make new again he was flattered and OK with selling!
As you say the Ti spec has the lowered suspension, other rims etc but this one doesn’t have any badging, it does have the logo embossed into the seats (in contrasting thread) and it has the rare black seats with light grey piping so the car looks absolutely stunning.
So it has some Ti specs but certainly not all of them. Confusing and I don’t care if it is Ti or not I’m just very curious to know if a non Ti could Ever be ordered with Ti light clusters?

as i recall changing the colour of the lighting isn’t quite as straight forward as one might think since there’s a thin green foil that gives the colourwd glow so a DIY includes a lot of fiddling with removing that not only on the cluster but on all the controls in the centre console?
Can’t wait to see the car and lock the deal.
This will be a car I intend to Store during winter because of all the saly we use in Sweden. A real keeper.

and I have a few engine upgrades, Zender rims, Equal length downpipes, wizard exhaust And a Zender kit etc that would find its way on to it.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Apparently it’s a distinctive package 166 3.2 with blackline package. With Ti instruments but not Ti spec. Classic italian options list hahahaha! 😂
It doesn’t appear to sit at Ti height anyway so it adds up with being dist./blackline.

·
Registered
Alfa 166 Ti, Giulietta Veloce
488 Posts
Ti also has Ti badges on the wings. There is no Ti badging on the centre console however. My Ti doesn't have that and checking the Alfa Ti sales brochure/spec I have here, doesn't list that either.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Ti also has Ti badges on the wings. There is no Ti badging on the centre console however. My Ti doesn't have that and checking the Alfa Ti sales brochure/spec I have here, doesn't list that either.
That's interesting - the brochure I have definitely says "Ti branding on the centre console", but you've got a Ti so obviously it didn't actually come with it. Mind you, the brochure I have is the early FL March '04 166 general range brochure with the last page describing the Ti version. I guess when they actually started producing the Ti they just didn't bother with that bit ie) typical Marketing Dept not communicating with Production :rolleyes:.

And just looking at the brochure, the Ti Alfa embossed leather seats were unique to the Ti.

Whatever, it is the most desirable 166 version :cool:(y)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Thank you. I have a good friend to thank for finding me this one. Has been in warm storage the last couple of years with a battery charger connected. Hasn’t seen road salt in Sweden, used for a day ir two last year and runs well but has just sat there so when I contacted the owner explaining that I’m looking for a pristine 166 3.2 to make new again he was flattered and OK with selling!
As you say the Ti spec has the lowered suspension, other rims etc but this one doesn’t have any badging, it does have the logo embossed into the seats (in contrasting thread) and it has the rare black seats with light grey piping so the car looks absolutely stunning.
So it has some Ti specs but certainly not all of them. Confusing and I don’t care if it is Ti or not I’m just very curious to know if a non Ti could Ever be ordered with Ti light clusters?

as i recall changing the colour of the lighting isn’t quite as straight forward as one might think since there’s a thin green foil that gives the colourwd glow so a DIY includes a lot of fiddling with removing that not only on the cluster but on all the controls in the centre console?
Can’t wait to see the car and lock the deal.
This will be a car I intend to Store during winter because of all the saly we use in Sweden. A real keeper.

and I have a few engine upgrades, Zender rims, Equal length downpipes, wizard exhaust And a Zender kit etc that would find its way on to it.
Interesting to hear about changing the lighting colour - I'm sure I was told by an "expert" a while ago the pre-FL instrument cluster was just a simple matter of swapping the normal bulbs to red, but I think you are correct about their being a green foil in-between, it does make more sense. I will check mine one day!

And you car sounds fabulous & pretty unique (y). And yes it sounds like a typical end-of-production Italian mix-match of specs! Definitely upload some photos of it. You have some very tasty upgrades planned as well.

·
Registered
488 Posts
That's interesting - the brochure I have definitely says "Ti branding on the centre console", but you've got a Ti so obviously it didn't actually come with it. Mind you, the brochure I have is the early FL March '04 166 general range brochure with the last page describing the Ti version. I guess when they actually started producing the Ti they just didn't bother with that bit ie) typical Marketing Dept not communicating with Production :rolleyes:.

And just looking at the brochure, the Ti Alfa embossed leather seats were unique to the Ti.

Whatever, it is the most desirable 166 version :cool:(y)
Yeah, it's weird alright. My brochure is dated 01/2004. Maybe they were planning it but never went through with it?! Couple of pics attached from the brochure and of the actual car. The sharp eyed among you will note its the incorrect Ti wing badges that are on it - a previous owner seems to have fitted the ones from a 159, probably because the originals are so expensive to buy! I've sourced the correct ones and going to fit them next year after I get some bodywork touch-ups done. £20 a badge, yikes!

Attachments

Reactions: Pomeo and Mufasa

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
But.. confucious says all 166 with momo leather has the embroidered alfa badge on the seats surely?

and was Ti red backlighting ever an option on other option packs?
The one I’ve found is manufactured during mid 2006 so sold late as an ’07. Must’ve been rummaging through the bix of odd bits?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Yeah, it's weird alright. My brochure is dated 01/2004. Maybe they were planning it but never went through with it?! Couple of pics attached from the brochure and of the actual car. The sharp eyed among you will note its the incorrect Ti wing badges that are on it - a previous owner seems to have fitted the ones from a 159, probably because the originals are so expensive to buy! I've sourced the correct ones and going to fit them next year after I get some bodywork touch-ups done. £20 a badge, yikes!
Great looking Ti, such low mileage as well (y) . I doubt if anyone would notice the subtle difference between the Ti badges, but I totally get why you want everything absolutely original, even if it does cost £20 per correct badge.... eeek.

My brochure is the same as yours but different description for the Ti package on the back page, see attached. Obviously they decided not to stick the Ti badge on the boot nor the center console .... yet mine was printed 2 months after yours so you'd think these later descriptions were more accurate :unsure:. Good ol' Italian marketing.....🥴.

Also took a pic of the 166 FL price list which came with the brochure.

Attachments

·
Registered
356 Posts
But.. confucious says all 166 with momo leather has the embroidered alfa badge on the seats surely?

and was Ti red backlighting ever an option on other option packs?
The one I’ve found is manufactured during mid 2006 so sold late as an ’07. Must’ve been rummaging through the bix of odd bits?
You're right about the seats. Even the non-Ti came with Alfa embossed logos in them. Not sure what's so different then about the TI seats - over to Scott...???

·
Registered
488 Posts
My brochure is the same as yours but different description for the Ti package on the back page, see attached. Obviously they decided not to stick the Ti badge on the boot nor the center console .... yet mine was printed 2 months after yours so you'd think these later descriptions were more accurate :unsure:. Good ol' Italian marketing.....
Haha, thats funny they're different! My car has the Ti boot badge too and all others i've seen have had a Ti boot badge also.

Reactions: Pomeo

·
Registered
488 Posts
You're right about the seats. Even the non-Ti came with Alfa embossed logos in them. Not sure what's so different then about the TI seats - over to Scott...???
Dunno! I was thinking they were the same as all the others too. All my other 166s had the stitching too but it was the same colour as the seat leather. Is the Ti one different because the stitching is a contrasting colour? It's not Momo leather either on the Ti, it doesn't have the Momo logo on the headrest.

Reactions: Pomeo

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ah that could well be it: th Ti has contrasting embroidery where as the standard car has same colour as the leather.
Btw: I’ve also only seen Ti’s with boot badge. Can’t say I’ve noticed badges on front wings too often though?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

really looking forward to seing the car in person. It’s far across country though so a friend there might have to look at it for me and seal the deal. Buying sight unseen 😅

·
Registered
488 Posts
That looks great. Get it bought!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Agreed with Scott! Looks lovely. And It sounds like the car has been exceptionally well looked after, not used on salty roads, with so few km on it etc so the chances are it will be a good example. Sometimes you just have to go with gut instinct.

Agreed about replacing the wheels with Zenders - do you mean the Zender Sienna 18" wheels????

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Sorry just catching up on this late, I had a 2.0 Ti 10 years ago. I remember the Ti logo on the alloys, side of front wing, embossed Alfa logo but in a grey stitching.

Lovely car, hope you have miles of fun, it looks stunning.

Here’s a few pics of mine with the logo’s. 😁

Attachments

Reactions: FAssarsson

·
Registered
488 Posts
Great colour that. Yours also had the very rare optional steering wheel control buttons. Still can't figure out why that wasn't standard on a car such as the 166. Almost every phase 2 interior 156 and most 147s had them as standard as the Lusso pack but their flagship car had it as an option. Madness!

·
Registered
11,040 Posts
Think Ive got a new BLACKLINE facelift grill and TI sills etc buried in the garage when (IF I ever get around to it) renovating TIa. She doesnt have the TI on centre console but the red mood lighting is so cooling after a stressful day.
Just calms you right down if you drifted on to thinking about the vehicles excise act cost OR whatever the PC term for road tax is nowadays.
With my recent check into elearn Its no wonder no two 166s are the same.

Nowt wrong wie buying unseen IF the price is right.
With hindight forget all the other checks but factor in Bank1 Sensor 1 lamda sensor change.

Pomeo

1 - 20 of 31 Posts