Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Odd title I know but it's time to reduce the number of 166's on my drive.

Having already done 3,000 miles in the my 166 I feel it is a keeper and now needs work to get it to where I want it to be. To do this I need to salvage parts from the grey and the red one before they head down the hill for recycling.

The black 166 clearly has some rear suspension issues as it wants to "drift" and close inspection of the bushes show things are very tired. The red 166 has a whole load of new or nearly new suspension parts on it and we are now stripping it down to swap over. The triangular plate that bolts into the sub frame on both sides looks especially tired on the front but I have as new ones on the red car so i'm happy.

Hopefully all will be done by the weekend and I can then drive her properly. She's also had an oil change which was well overdue and with a new lower radiator bracket and new alloys once refurbed she should be good to go.

being 2 alfa's down as a result of this means I can think of other stuff such as....

I'm trying to decide do I save a V6 engine for a project or realise my limitations and just lease an interesting Gulia for work,

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
being 2 alfa's down as a result of this means I can think of other stuff such as....

I'm trying to decide do I save a V6 engine for a project or realise my limitations and just lease an interesting Gulia for work,
Nice choice to have.
Keep an engine, then do something else with it if the Guilia doesn't scratch the itch?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice choice to have.
Keep an engine, then do something else with it if the Guilia doesn't scratch the itch?
Beyond a stratos replica what other applications can the v6 be used for in kit car terms?

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Beyond a stratos replica what other applications can the v6 be used for in kit car terms?
I'm putting one in a home-build locost-esque effort. Well, I say that....work on the fabrication hasn't started as yet as I'm waiting until I finish work later this year, but I have been sourcing donor parts for a bit now. Got a 166 motor & gearbox plus all the ECU & wiring etc, another gearbox from a 2.5 156 for the better ratios, solid flywheel and clutch, assorted MX5 suspension & brake parts.

If anyone fancies a proper DIY kit, it's this (excuse the naff name). The MidLana Project

Basically, buy the book, buy metal, cut, weld, build....

Having built & rebuilt four other kits over the years (including a Stratos copy) I figured I was done with all that....but came across this and decided it would make a good retirement project. Goal is to do it as cheaply as sensibly possible while not compromising safety or basic ability...or making it look too ****e either hopefully. Main cost saving move is to leave the bloody engine alone!!! The donor car I took it out of was running great with excellent emissions test results and had done just over 100k, so just nicely run in really. Way too easy to get carried away and spend thousands rebuilding and 'improving' it. Been there, done that, not doing it again thanks. Last one was a supercharged 12V with custom everything and cost a fortune. This time it will be box-stock, OEM ECU etc. I'm even retaining things like the cruise control.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm putting one in a home-build locost-esque effort. Well, I say that....work on the fabrication hasn't started as yet as I'm waiting until I finish work later this year, but I have been sourcing donor parts for a bit now. Got a 166 motor & gearbox plus all the ECU & wiring etc, another gearbox from a 2.5 156 for the better ratios, solid flywheel and clutch, assorted MX5 suspension & brake parts.

If anyone fancies a proper DIY kit, it's this (excuse the naff name). The MidLana Project

Basically, buy the book, buy metal, cut, weld, build....

Having built & rebuilt four other kits over the years (including a Stratos copy) I figured I was done with all that....but came across this and decided it would make a good retirement project. Goal is to do it as cheaply as sensibly possible while not compromising safety or basic ability...or making it look too ****e either hopefully. Main cost saving move is to leave the bloody engine alone!!! The donor car I took it out of was running great with excellent emissions test results and had done just over 100k, so just nicely run in really. Way too easy to get carried away and spend thousands rebuilding and 'improving' it. Been there, done that, not doing it again thanks. Last one was a supercharged 12V with custom everything and cost a fortune. This time it will be box-stock, OEM ECU etc. I'm even retaining things like the cruise control.
Thanks Chris, I know my limits but this is way above it.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Am amazed at the amount of as new kit coming off the donor vehicle, I should be able to renew both front and rear suspension components. I can't wait to have the car back on the road.

Mrs A cant wait till the donor cars are off the car park.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
By the time I had stripped what I wanted of the donor I broke, the local tatters didn't want to know so I bought a cheap reciprocating saw....and that made disturbingly short work of chopping it into bits small enough to go in the back of the Jeep. Mind you, I did get a few funny looks from the staff as I heaved large chunks of old car into the scrap steel skip.....

(Yay, back into my account now. Thank you mods!)

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Removed this mildly essential component as part of the parts migration from the red one to the black one, seems a bit corroded to me.....

Attachments

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Car is now half done, i.e. the front axle and associated suspension bits have been swapped out. Both top arms were duff, one would only move with a creaking sound, the other was locked solid. End result the ride is quiet, no creaks and knocks and the speed bump at the bottom of our drive does not make the suspension knock when you go over it. The back end should be done by next weekend.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
On the face lift versions did alfa not alter the toe in to help with stability. Might be worth finding out the values to help that in the build.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts