Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a favour! I am having no luck sourcing a good sunroof mechanism for my 164 and have a few of the fragile metal parts snapped and being so small, no repair can be done. So it has occurred to me that maybe I can Frankenstein a 166 roof which is much more available. What I would need is for someone with said car to give me measurements of the roof hole so I can compare with the 164 to figure out if this is feasible or not.

Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I need a favour! I am having no luck sourcing a good sunroof mechanism for my 164 and have a few of the fragile metal parts snapped and being so small, no repair can be done. So it has occurred to me that maybe I can Frankenstein a 166 roof which is much more available. What I would need is for someone with said car to give me measurements of the roof hole so I can compare with the 164 to figure out if this is feasible or not.

Thanks!
Ok V6junky, I popped outside with my tape measure and measured my 166 3.2 facelift's sunroof - I got 43.5cm by 82.5cm - measuring from above rather than inside. Seems like an odd measurement to me but I checked carefully.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok V6junky, I popped outside with my tape measure and measured my 166 3.2 facelift's sunroof - I got 43.5cm by 82.5cm - measuring from above rather than inside. Seems like an odd measurement to me but I checked carefully.
PHILCO you star! Thanks mate. Just made the same measurements on mine, as you, from above and not inside. Exact same numbers!! So this has just opened up my options. If the thing bolts straight in that would be a small miracle and a perfect upgrade. Otherwise, frankenroof it is.

·
Registered
31 Posts
if sunroof is closed at the moment then then just bloody leave it alone !
are you mad ?
I mean seriously .... I try not to touch anything electric in my qv , I use one window ... that's it !
hows your centre console clock and air con thingy working ? perhaps twice a year im able to adjust temp and fan controls, always seems to be on the last day of summer then the last day of winter so I always end up spending 6 months either frying or freezing
got one heated seat working (passenger ) kids keep pressing the button to turn it on even though I have told them that the consequences could result in a complete electrical meltdown ! rear windows go down beautifully.... but struggle going the other way
every time I get home after a mission (short drive to pick up beer and curry) I'm just so chuffed its still running
back to sunroofs ,bought a brand new 145 1.7 in 1995 ,had one of the first in the country , still one of my best car memories is picking it up it up from main dealer in Baker street , straight into rush hour central London traffic ,looking good in my shiny black Alfa, three weeks later went to car wash , sunroof leaked ,therefore the moral of the (long) story is sunroofs are more hassle than they are worth

·
Registered
13 Posts
are you mad ?
I mean seriously .... I try not to touch anything electric in my qv , I use one window ... that's it !
hows your centre console clock and air con thingy working ? perhaps twice a year im able to adjust temp and fan controls, always seems to be on the last day of summer then the last day of winter so I always end up spending 6 months either frying or freezing
got one heated seat working (passenger ) kids keep pressing the button to turn it on even though I have told them that the consequences could result in a complete electrical meltdown ! rear windows go down beautifully.... but struggle going the other way
every time I get home after a mission (short drive to pick up beer and curry) I'm just so chuffed its still running
back to sunroofs ,bought a brand new 145 1.7 in 1995 ,had one of the first in the country , still one of my best car memories is picking it up it up from main dealer in Baker street , straight into rush hour central London traffic ,looking good in my shiny black Alfa, three weeks later went to car wash , sunroof leaked ,therefore the moral of the (long) story is sunroofs are more hassle than they are worth
Yes but we mustn't rain on his parade must we :biglaugh:
Anyway More often than not I find Alfa's go wrong when not used enough - Sunroofs, windows...er maybe leave out central locking - now I've just remembered both my 166's have a central locking issue. Anybody got a spare solenoid for these?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
are you mad ?
Mine is pretty good in comparison!! Heated seats all work (take apart the switch and give it a clean and they come back to life). AC console display works perfectly. Seats have lost a bit of movement though and I have new window mechanisms ready to go in. If you don't use them they stress out the teeth on the main cog and snap them just because they sit there too long. All of mine have broken just from sitting. The roof is on its second motor as the first one lost its start, stop positions but it's not the electrics that have gone, it's the monkey metal parts. That's why I have the idea of sourcing a 166 scrapper of which I have located 8 today none of them with a sunroof!!!! :irked:

·
Registered
483 Posts
Here are some pics I did when I disassembled mine (water leaks).
Maybe it's the same sunroof after all!
Postimage.org / gallery - 20160213 170503, 20160213 170622, 20160214 161328, 20160214 161531

Some 164/168 sunroof pics (same as yours?)
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/781157-post11.html

156 sunroof pics. I'm pretty sure the sunroof is the same as in the 166! :
http://forum.alfa156.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=43278&PN=0&TPN=2
http://forum.alfa156.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=27595
http://forum.alfa156.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=44198
Cheers :)

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are some pics I did when I disassembled mine (water leaks).
Maybe it's the same sunroof after all!
Postimage.org / gallery - 20160213 170503, 20160213 170622, 20160214 161328, 20160214 161531

Some 164/168 sunroof pics (same as yours?)
Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums - View Single Post - Converted headliner to BLACK, sunroof drains cleared!

156 sunroof pics. I'm pretty sure the sunroof is the same as in the 166! :
Alfa Romeo forum: Water Leakage
Alfa Romeo forum: Sunroof LEAK again with PICS!
Alfa Romeo forum: Replacing sunroof lining
Cheers :)
Hey! I know that signature from Alfistas!! :beer:

Thanks for those pics. They all look pretty similar. I would need to see a pic of the mechanism with the roof panel off. I know those parts like the back of my fri.....n hand! :thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts