Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It seems even the lowly motorist aspires to be on their high horse these days.

It started with the Range Rover, the kings venturing out from their castles on their Destriers, all serfs bow and allow passage.
Of course, not to be outdone, BMW with their X range, Merc ML Audi, Volvo, Jeep etc etc all brought out their "wheels within wheels" flaming chariots for the Rich and Successful to roam safely from their castle walls and automatic sensored gates. Even Porsche, the makers of iconic sports racing fillies thought it necessary to provide the Black Princes with a "Cayenne" charger for the commute, in order that the Barons themselves should remain humble and compliant.

Of course, the wannabe new rich have also been provided with safe steeds by the likes of the Nissan Quashqai and Kia Sportage....although most of them only have a cul-de-sac 4 bed executive driveway on which to display them.

Yes, it seems that everybody is riding high these days in their kings of the road, or at least their imitations.

Even traditional sleek Thoroughbreds and Arabians like the 5 series, XF and A5 (some say because of EU regs) have been fitted with "serf ploughs" in order to shovel their way through pedestrians safely.

Yes, the "Bulldozer Blunt Blade" is all the rage.

Come back to the rarest of rare glorious sights on the King's Highway....the Style Low De Silva 166.
This is for the Lion Heart making his way home by stealth, slipping through Europe under the noses of his enemies.
Or else, travelling incognito around his kingdom to see how the Barons, Sheriffs and Bishops may be mistreating his subjects.
Such a rare steed to slip by unnoticed, except by the close friends of the King.

OH 166! This is how you make me feel!

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
It is a very low car. The front seems to be far lower than the front. Even with it up on the ramps I inly just squeeze underneath. Well xmas has been kind and working iff the extra weight is taking its time to come off.

Still lovely car even if its spent more hours on those ramps than on the road lately...

·
Registered
95 Posts
I went shopping today and in the mall there was Infiniti Q50. Not hideous from outside so I hopped in and immediately felt like in a two size smaller coffin. Love the space and design in 166 :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
I think the 166 is deceptively large. It doesn't feel like a long car.
But it is pretty wide.

Can't go through the little gaps like I used to with the 147.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think the 166 is deceptively large. It doesn't feel like a long car.
But it is pretty wide.

Can't go through the little gaps like I used to with the 147.
The 166 looks small on the road because it is styled so sleek. It isn't that much smaller than a BMW E39, which looks like a Panzer tank in comparison (I'm not knocking the car, just comparing the styling).

However the doors on the 166 close with that satisfying "clunk" of quality and once inside it has that balance of relaxed comfort, style, agility and capability.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
The door cards are pretty beefy as well. So that makes the car feel smaller I think.

Got in my dad's 3 series and it felt like a toy...

Reactions: Mufasa

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
..i think the 166 is virtually the exact same size as a current F30 3 Series.. cars just keep getting bigger..!

It's not as tall as a 3 Series though, especially on the Eibachs. I always thought of it more as a 4-door GT car rather than an exec saloon.. still can't believe i let it go..

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
..i think the 166 is virtually the exact same size as a current F30 3 Series.. cars just keep getting bigger..!

It's not as tall as a 3 Series though, especially on the Eibachs. I always thought of it more as a 4-door GT car rather than an exec saloon.. still can't believe i let it go..
****, I told you not to!!! You had it in fantastic order....
Still you can't change the past.

Reactions: mick164

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
****, I told you not to!!! You had it in fantastic order....
Still you can't change the past.
I have three V6 Alfas.
a 156 Q-system. It's nice. Lent it to my Mum.
a 156 GTA SW. I like it a lot.

a 166 Super. Can't imagine life without it..irreplaceable.

However, I know some much prefer the 164 to the 166 ( i never had a 164 and have resisted so far)...and you have to draw the line somewhere with car owner ship....can't buy and keep all the beauties....

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
However, I know some much prefer the 164 to the 166 ( i never had a 164 and have resisted so far)...
..they're quite different in terms of character so having both on the driveway isn't really a problem i think. They're both excellent, relaxed high-speed motorway cars, but when you get off the motorway the 166 is more a chuckable GT car, whereas the 164 is more chuckable hot-hatch. The 166 has faster steering, but there's more feel through the 164's wheel and it has a crisper turn-in. The 164 is more adjustable at the limit when you really grab it by the scruff of the neck, whereas the 166 corners and corners then settles into a nicely balanced 4-wheel drift.. it really feels like it's using all 4 tyres properly, whereas the 164 is more about being low, flat and darty at the front, with the rear following up on its toes (relatively).

You sort of sit on the 164, but in the 166.. I love the 164 interior, but slipping behind the wheel of the 166 feels really special and you never tire of it. The 164 also feels old.. old in a nice, unmistakably Italian way, but still old. I kinda love it though :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts