Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 3.0ltr sportronic with a gearbox problem. It makes a physical and audible "clunk" when selecting D or R. When driving it is not changing gear. Selecting sport mode displays the gear as if it is all working but shifting manually changes the display but no change actually happens.

Background, I bought the car 8 months ago and has run smoothly in that time. Last week the cold weather exposed the battery's deficiencies so I changed it and that was when this problem started.

I have looked on the forum and checked to see if the heater matrix is leaking - all dry. Did the ECU reset - no help.

The battery thing may be a coincidence but it is suspicious. The is no sign of any oil leak from the gearbox. Any suggestions for a cure welcome. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
10,921 Posts
Have you checked the connector at the gearbox end
Pomeo

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I don't know enough to understand which connector. Can you tell me where to look? Presumably we are talking about an electrical connector. Sorry to sound dim.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Problem solved. I was just looking up more info on the 166 sportronic gearbox when I saw another post about the ECU reset and realise I didn't do it correctly. Followed the whole process and now things seem to have returned to normal.

Thanks to Pomeo for his quick response. Keeping my fingers crossed that all is well now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
hi,
I've been suffering with the same on two of my 166s. could you please copy me the link on how to reset the ecu.
Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi GTM15 Sorry I haven't responded before. Did you get the ecu reset procedure? If not I will try and find it. I can actually remember so it might've quicker to write it out. Let me know.

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS 2007
5,550 Posts
Disconnect the battery, either leave for 1 hour or short the disconnected leads to discharge any residual voltage.
Reconnect the battery.
Turn ignition on but don't start engine, leave for 90 secs - inlet throttle body will be whirring and clicking to self adjust/trim and switch the air con to off.
Turn ignition off for 90 secs.
Turn ignition on and start the engine but don't touch the throttle pedal, leave running until engine warms up to normal 90c (cooling fan comes on)
Turn ignition off.
Turn ignition on and start the engine and go for an enthusaistic drive.

Caution:
Insure you have all the four digit codes for the ics / sat nav if required before commencing.

·
Registered
67 Posts
On any car you should disconnect the battery leads and touch them together when trying to clear any electrical faults.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts