Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me with my 166 speedo-it has simply stopped working! everything else in the binnacle works fine but the speedo and milometer are frozen -the needle does not move and the milometer shows the same mileage. Any helpful comments would be much appreciated.

Argon

·
Registered
354 Posts
Well I don't think it'll be a fuse, as the one that controls the speedo does all the other dials as well.

I guess it might simply have just jammed?

·
Registered
10,889 Posts
Dear Pomeo

Thanks very much--I will investigate and report back!

argon
tha's the game Argon.

Just remembered my new Lucy when I switch on the ignition the temp guage goes off the scale FSD and returns and IIRC the rev counter does something similar.

The other twa have never ever done anything like that.

Pomeo (Learning all the time even at my age);):D

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS
5,162 Posts
E-learn

Electronic speedometer
It is the analogue type and receives a signal from the A.B.S. 5.3 control unit via the active sensors.

The processing of this signal (wheel rpm) depends on the circumference of a conventional tyre and allows the speed to be calculated.

is possible to vary the circumference memorized if different sized tyres are used (standard version) via the diagnostic line.

There are four 'repeat' outputs of the signal from the speedometer for other systems:

two are used by the air conditioning control unit and the injection/ignition control unit
one is for the self-levelling suspension (not available on this model)
one is spare.

1, A.B.S. control unit

2, Climate control control unit

3, Injection/ignition control unit

Milometer
This consists of an LCD which simultaneously displays the total and trip mileage.

It processes the signal coming from the A.B.S. control unit and, depending on the tyre circumference, it calculates the mileage.

A button is used to zero the trip meter.

If the battery is disconnected, the trip meter is zeroed.

1, A.B.S. control unit

Electronic rev counter
It processes the rpm signal coming from the injection/ignition control unit through the electronics in the instrument.

1, Injection/ignition control unit

Heated rear windscreen enablement
The control panel processes the rpm signal coming from the injection/ignition control unit.

If the speed exceeds 1000 rpm, it sends the integrated services electronic control unit a heated rear windscreen enablement signal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts