Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys!

Took my 166 for a belting last weekend, but now it doesnt sound all that great!

from the passenger side it sounds like a diesel, something up with it but im not sure what! When you rev it doesnt sound all that good from 1k to 2k rpm! It pulls as it should, fast and smooth! Could this be any sort of pump? Any ideas?............................Please help me!

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Plugs have been done! The noise isnt coming from the head...well i dont think it is! Could it be some sort of pump! It sounds as tho its comming from the gear box........aghhh could it be the gear box maybe?

Now that sounds expensive!!

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It doesnt clunk or anything, its something is spinning causing the sound! It not super loud, but enough to make it sound a little on the rough side!

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Diesel sound? TS engine? Sounds like the variator to me...

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
hehe - i wondered who would be the first to claim variator...esh has a V6 so no variator to worry about :D

I'd try and pin down where the noise is coming from esh - on that side you've really only got the gearbox/clutch (is yours a manual?) and starter/flywheel. Make sure it's not coming from the bottom end (is it a knocking kind of noise?) though - pop your head under the car and see if you can get a clearer picture of the source.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Is it just noisy on tickover or when actually on the move also?

Could be a noisy thrust bearing for clutch? I had this on a car years ago but I put it down to lack of use by previous owner, once I started using it went away. If not that - Water pump or a dreaded tensioner! What is the Service History like?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
hehe - i wondered who would be the first to claim variator...esh has a V6 so no variator to worry about :D

I'd try and pin down where the noise is coming from esh - on that side you've really only got the gearbox/clutch (is yours a manual?) and starter/flywheel. Make sure it's not coming from the bottom end (is it a knocking kind of noise?) though - pop your head under the car and see if you can get a clearer picture of the source.

V6?? :lol: that would have been useful to know!!! :eek:

OK, so diesel noise on a V6.... cracked manifold?

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guys...............Im scared!!!!

I had a look as suggested, ps thanks for all your feedback!

Right, it doesn't sound hugely bad! I can here it on tickover, when i rev it 1k to 2k revs, sometimes at 60 when i put my foot down (more like a grinding noise at this point, but a soft one)...

But it does sound like it could be something to do with the clutch!!! When I stick my head under the car, near the front passenger wheel, i look up and there is this alu metal block. I think the gear box is above and behind this part. I belive the sound is coming from there.

The service history is mint, everything has been done apart from the water pump......eeeeek!!!! If it was a tensioner the noise will be coming from the otherside....which suites me fine!

Does that help..............

·
Registered
837 Posts
Do the manifold's crack easily then as mine has a slight blow or leak when on idle, need to get it in to the garage to get them to check it out, possibly why my fuel consumption is bad too!

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I've never had one crack (three 164 V6's to date) but I know that some people have had them crack. Not common but not unheard of.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Diesel sound from a petrol engine is common if the variator failes, or if there is no variator it could be some kind of phase error. I would guess the belt slipped one or two teeth when it was changed. Shouldn´t be too hard to check.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I dont think its anything to do with the exhaust system! I not that bad tho it slipped a tooth, but i guess thats worth a look!!! Niel the noise doesnt go away when i put the clutch in!!!!! Its really confusing!..........hummm, ill report back tonight!!!! I very sure its not from the engine!!! Dug you said about the water pump, where is this located!

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Water pump is atr the side you say is quiet - Usualy gets done along with cambelt.

·
Registered
163 Posts
If the diesel sound occured after changing the belt I think it´s fair to assume it has something to do with the belt. Why exhaust, water pump or whatever? Did you check the alignment to see if anything has jumped a tooth or two during the belt change? Phase errors are known to produce diesel sounds....

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So cant be the water pump if it at the other side.........although i did notice a small water leak but could just be the air con.........

The belts were changed ages ago, at 57k i think and im now on 70k! Im gonna go and have a look now and see what I can find again!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts