Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello

have bought a new 166 from 2000.
it doesn't have sat nav fitted, but i have got hold of a sat nav unit with disc, code & wiring loom.

is it easy to fit? will a garage be able to do it if not?

also, can you get up to date discs for these or am i better off buying a tom tom!

cheers

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
you've done the hard bit by sourcing the reader and the loom - it's a plug and play job so should be dead easy for a garage. One thing you'll need is a GPS aerial - best bet is an aftermarket one and mount it below the rear parcel shelf.

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
oh, and if the reader is a G2 model then you can only get discs up to 2001 but if its a G3 you can get current discs...

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
But Niall,Is the G3 compatible with the older ICS's ,...Is that not why they only speak italian when couple together.....I thought the wee black aerial on the roof was for the sat nav.

Pomeo

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Of its a G3 and you dont want it ill buy it off you, I could do with a new disc!

TomTom is better, the alfa nav is very good but at the same time slow and sometimes a little late i.e. accurate to 400yards! And i swear it tells me to turn left when i need to turn right, then tells me to turn right!!!

·
Registered
303 Posts
hello

have bought a new 166 from 2000.
it doesn't have sat nav fitted, but i have got hold of a sat nav unit with disc, code & wiring loom.

is it easy to fit? will a garage be able to do it if not?

also, can you get up to date discs for these or am i better off buying a tom tom!

cheers
If your remotely handy with a screwdriver and a couple of spanners then its not too difficuilt to fit yourself in a day, a garage would charge you a fortune and not make it worth while. There's a lot of experience on fitting it on this forum with an abundance of help on offer. As for the discs, if it is a g2 system then upto 2001 is as far it goes.

·
Registered
303 Posts
But Niall,Is the G3 compatible with the older ICS's ,...Is that not why they only speak italian when couple together.....I thought the wee black aerial on the roof was for the sat nav.

Pomeo
The G3 is backwards compatable, but not why it speaks in italian, as I updated mine to g3, spoke in italian as actualy from a lancia in italy, changed ics to newer version with the latest updates, and still speaks italian! darn it. It has been suggested that there might be a dealer language disc, but have been unable to confirm that. The wee black bee sting aerial is for the sat nav and phone prep, but not all cars have them fitted, only definately fitted on later cars. Mine doesn't have one, cleaner roof line!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts