Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, newbie to this! Just bought a 99 166 2.5V6 with all the toys on it, phone, sat nav etc. It has the nav disc in the player in the boot, it all shows on the ICS. When i put in a destination it comes up on the screen no bother, but when i go on calculate/show route, after few seconds it comes up 'Calculation failed, Vehicle off map!' The aerial in the roof is fine i guess as the phone works perfectly. But the clock doesnt update and i cannot adjust the time. So i'm guessing its a GPS positioning problem, anyway of checking this?
Have to say how good this forum is, have been scrolling through the threads and learnt so much already!! Hope it helps to keep the alfa love affair alive!! (ask me that again in 12mths time when the 166 is up for MOT!!)

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Rear nearside pillar (passenger side), take that penal off and you'll prob find that your antenna isnt connected. Youll be missing the cable from the reader to the aerial.

It might be a far better idea to connect an aftermarket GPS antenna from the reader and just place it on the rear parcel shelf...........However I think I may have the aerial ( i bought a loom) that will have that cable connection. Id only want £20 for the item if I do.

If you can get a cheaper aftermarket one I believe you need a G5 or GT5 connection or something along those lines. But have a look first, actually check the back of the reader as well to see if it has come loose!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive checked the sat nav player/reader and all cables are connected. Would the cable have pulled out from the aerial on its own? cant see anyone disconnecting it. Will have a look anyway. Thanksfor the info, will let you know.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Cable in the reader will be connected, but the missing section will be in the pillar.

<Reader <> G5Cable <> Missing section <> Roof Antenna

The missing section is just two coaxial sections that in effect extend the G5 cable to the roof.

When I say G5 im sure its something like that

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
there is a combination of buttons which shows how many satellites can your GPS currently see, ideally is should be 5 or 7.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
havent had chance to take panel off yet, will ave a look tomorrow. Hangover from hell today!
I'm guessing thatswhat it isas its saying vehicle off map so assume its not picking up signal. Although looked the other day and it showed current position in degrees and co-ordinates, but no gps info.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Had a look today, pulled the rear n/s corner panel and hey presto behnd the rubber door seal was the end of a co-ax cable! guessing this is for the satnav, as the phone has full reception.
Now i spose ive got two choices, either rip the rooflining down and reconnect it to original in roof, or,
buy another and stick it under rear parcel as already suggested on here?.........
Any ideas wherei can get one from? And what to look for, would it be same as a gsm phone aerial thingy??
that internet auction site i guess

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh ok, thanks for that. Did you plug it straight into the back of the cd reader? Having investigated further, the cable i originally found is the telephone cable i think as it is thicker and ran around the top of the rear window. There is however two smaller cables on the pillar which look like sat nav cables. One is connected and runs up to the aerial, the other is not and runs back to the reader i assume?

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Just on the pillar there will be a plastic mount to hold two cables, one is for GPS, one is for GSM..........do not try and replace the GSM cable, you wont find another too easy! Im sure I have a spare GPS cable you can just run from the reader to the connection in the pillar! id only want about £20 for it, however may seem expensive to what you can get on ebay!

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Aghh is it the section from the piller to the roof........what a *****! Might be best to take it to a auto elecrical place, I hate roof linings they kink and crease and can make a right mess!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts