Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've to replace the inner mountings/D-shaped rubbers on the rear anti-roll bar of my 166. Anybody know if these are available from anywhere, or of alternatives which will fit ? I don't intend buying a complete stabiliser bar from Alfa for the sake of two small rubbers. ;)

Cheers.

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
Depends on the diameter .. Superflex and Powerflex do various sizes of a/r bushes and you can pick these up from various places.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers Ken. Some good work there I have to say !! Fair play.

What's gotten my interest is the post from Techno on your thread (post #6). Has anybody else used these bushes from a Panda on their 166 ? Sounds the quickest way to go, I was getting the alignment done anyway because the front susp is also getting the rear wishbone bushes replaced.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Even if you do it the 'Post 6, Panda Bush' way I think the Superflex bushes will last longer for the following reason:

In the standard anti-roll bar arrangement, the bushes are bonded to the bar so that the bushes are twisted during the anti-roll bar twisting activity. With the Powerflex and the Panda methods the replacement bushes are acting purely as bearings for the anti-roll bar to rotate in.

A Poly bush will last longer than a rubber bush in this arrangement.

The other benefit of doing it 'My Way' is that future bush replacement is simple and cheap with no need to upset the suspension alignment through dropping the sub-frame.

Good luck with what ever method you choose.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, all sorted now.

Cheers for the help and link to that thread Ken. Greatly appreciated.

I agree with you in the Poly bush lasting longer, not suffering the same wear as a rubber bush over time, but I was happy to go with the Panda bushes this time. Getting the car ready for it's test so if I'd gone with the Superflex bushes I'd be left waiting for the bits to be shipped from the UK to Irl and all the associated delays so it was just easier and quicker this time to walk into the local Fiat dealer which is 5mins away and pick up 2 Panda bushes.

The Panda bushes are the exact same as the ones originally fitted by Alfa upon manufacture of the anti-roll bar assembly.
I wasn't worried about dropping the subframe; it's a simple job and a full geometry setup was to be done anyway as I also replaced the rear stub-axle bushes, and the rear-most bushes on the front wishbones.

One thing though, the original bushes fitted by Alfa are not bonded to the bar. They have that nylon-like inner coating which is common on this type of bush from a lot of manufacturers in the last 10years, but they are definitely not bonded to the bar. The nylon coating is to assist them to act as a bearing for the anti-roll bar to rotate in. I can get pics of the old ones now that they are off, but they were defintely not bonded to the bar.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts