Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I hope to god someone can help me figure this one out.

I have a 2001 2.0 166, 80K - Had it 2 years where it spent its first year parked up in the Airport as I travel a lot with work. Since then its sat in my driveway.

It had a problem with not starting and it showed up fault code. Folks from here told me to replace the cam position sensor, which has been done problem was solved.

Now its back but a little different. It will start first time, but if I drive it a few miles and turn of the engine sometimes it wont restart, sometimes it will, it cant be trusted. When it doesn't restart there is a fault code throw up Ive yet to read this code never have the tool handy.

If I disconnect the battery and wait about 20 minutes it will restart and off I go. what I have noticed is that the engine doesn't heat up fully it usually reaches about 75 degrees.

From reading other post should I replace the radiator temp senor and thermostat?

Do you think this could be a timing issue?

I really like this car but its driving me nuts :cry: Any help greatly appreciated :D

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I think I would do as you suggest - the temp sender and thermostat - they are cheap and easy to do. Thermostat is a known regular problem.

Unless you have a duff new crank/cam sensor or dodgy wiring to it?

·
Registered
135 Posts
When it doesn't restart there is a fault code throw up Ive yet to read this code never have the tool handy.

D
Get the tool handy so!

How can anybody help you remote diagnose when they don't know the fault code and you imply you have a code reader?

Once you put up the code I am sure the resolution is not far away.

Richard

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
sounds like you have two problems, both fairly common,
my money would be on a duff thermostat and a duff crank sensor.

The crank sensor is different to the cam sensor. When the crank sensor fails, it often does so when hot, and rather annoyingly, when the car cools down it starts working again, its just how these things fail. There are several threads on them on most sites dealing with the TS engines.

The stat is more simple, its just stuck in the open position and will take ages for the car to warm up as it heating the whole of the cooling system rather than a part of it. Straightforward job but buy some jubilee clips as the things Alfa put on you will never get back on again, in fact you will not get them off without breaking them.

Fix 'em both and your 166 will be purring again.

HTH

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
The stat is more simple, its just stuck in the open position and will take ages for the car to warm up as it heating the whole of the cooling system rather than a part of it.

HTH
I dont know out about crank sensors other than what I have read on here...Well yet anyway.

BUT Purple

The above is true IF and Only IF Your radiator is NOT knackered:D

:cheese: :cheese: :cheese:
I know from previous experience....Some bottom had removed the thermostat to disguise the overheating caused by knackered rad.

Pomeo

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi guys thanks for the feedback. I'll take all advise on board. Ordered the sensors and thermo, have had the rad check and its in good shape. Will let you know if this sorts it out.

Cheers,
Aido

1 - 9 of 9 Posts