Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hell o *.*,

As most of ye know I'm planning a trip across Europe in April (~5k miles in a month). The car will be serviced next week (at TI Autos), and I want to be sure she will be prepared for the long journey.

The timing belt was done recently, and I'll get the oil changed and an extra bottle or two of the "SELENIA SPECIAL FORMULA ALFA ROMEO" oil. I also plan to get the MAF and the watepump replaced, just in case. Plus 4 new tyres, either Goodyear F1 or Michelin Exalto PE2. 4 wheel alignment, obviously.
Furthermore I'm also thinking about Koni yellows all around. (the car should be able to handle some luggages and also provide comfortable ride for my parents, so I'm not really into lowering.) I know I have to get the exhaust replaced soon, but that can wait until next year.
Plus I'd like to get the ics controls on the steering wheel.

Any other idea/suggestion what to prepare/replace, probably based on what you've done on your car? The car is a 2001 3l Lusso, and I got permission from my better half to make the car ready. (yes, she loves the car too).

Thanks for your help.
K.

p. s. so... when is the next AO meeting at the Nürburgring :D ?

M

·
0 Posts
looks like you have covered almost everything...what about getting your brakes looked at

·
Registered
223 Posts
I've been driving 6000kms in three weeks in 2005. We did this with a 94 Grand Cherokee 4.0 6-line engine automatic. The only thing we did was changing the front brakes because they where almost at their end.

And the car didn't had any problems at all during the way (eventough we where driving almost non-stop 160km/h for 18 hours).

We could had taken a 155 v6 or my 155. But both where lowerd quiet a lot and run on flat 17" and in Serbia the roads are not that good, so we where scared for our tires and oilpans.

So don't be to much bothered, koni's can be a good idea, you can have then set on the softest setting in the front, and 50% in the rear, then it's still comfortable. On which wheel size are you driving? Because on some roads in europe you don't want to drive on big wheels.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I expected the brakes to be checked during the service, so I didn't add to the list, but I will doublecheck.
I have 225/45 r17. I'll have to be careful:)

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
I expected the brakes to be checked during the service, so I didn't add to the list, but I will doublecheck.
I have 225/45 r17. I'll have to be careful:)
Assume nothing

As old Benny Hill used to say.

If you ASSUME you make an ASS out of U and ME.

Also doesn't matter who you vote for the government always get in.

With the car at the age it is .See MA post oil spewing front nearside.

Get oil pipes checked.

Get good breakdown cover before you leave because no matter how much you plan for the unexpected can happen.

What a pity you didn't get the water pump done at the timing belt change..Could have saved you a fair amount.

Pomeo.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Assume nothing

As old Benny Hill used to say.

If you ASSUME you make an ASS out of U and ME.

Also doesn't matter who you vote for the government always get in.

With the car at the age it is .See MA post oil spewing front nearside.

Get oil pipes checked.

Get good breakdown cover before you leave because no matter how much you plan for the unexpected can happen.

What a pity you didn't get the water pump done at the timing belt change..Could have saved you a fair amount.

Pomeo.
I'll get the oil pipes checked, and there is also a better (metal) brake line to get? I'll get AA (RAC is moving out of the Irish market).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts