Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys the local fire station was going to cut up a 166 3.0 v6 for practice so i donated $200 and dirty old mitsi mirage because i couldn't bear to see the jaws of life destroy it even though the head is dead, what is reclaimable for my 99 156 2.0 TS sele i would love to just change the struts in the front and back it looks very similar at quick glance except the massive discs and way better calipers (alfa romeo is all over everything so no re cert here in nz if i can fit it in without adaptions)after a bit of searching there is conversion solutions but what about the whole struts or even whole rear suspension i pick it up tommorrow night but will have little time to look at it for weeks so excited about to do major 200000km service including clutch so was thinking of droping out whole front end for good access please flame me whatever just fuel my enthusiasm give me ideas etc (ps Im sorry i only contribute when i need all your guys knowledge)

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
Don't think anything is shared between 156 & 166 except for rear brake pads.

So everything will be different, but as you'll have both cars next to each other you can try...!!

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Very different platforms an ways of doing similar things. But even hubs and shafts will differ.

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
As said virtually nothing will be a straight swap - even the wheel bolt spacing is different so you can't swap wheels. The good news is that even if you don't use anything the 166 Brembo calipers have a significant resale value, although if you can get brackets fabricated they do vastly improve the 156 brakes....might need to fit larger wheels though ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it has everything except the rocker covers front seats and the center console just in front of dash, the rims on it look 17 or 18 inch in the dark and the discs and callipers barely fit in there.

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
Pretty sure the wheels don't fit a 156 either. 166 was based on a GM/Saab chassis IIRC.

·
Administrator
88,032 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts