Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, hopefully someone can give me a bit of advice here.

My radiator gave up the ghost on the motorway last week, temperature got to around 130 but luckily right at a junction so I managed to get off and stop quickly.

Once I had stopped I checked the oil and for some reason, it looked empty. I say for some reason because I then managed to completely overfill the damned thing! I don't know what I was thinking :eek:

Anyway, within 100 yards of starting, I dissapeared in a cloud of blue smoke from the exhaust!

Got the car towed home, replaced the radiator, drained the oil and refilled to the right level.

I've still got a fair bit of smoke from the exhaust though, so I think I may have blown rings (ouch). But the more I read, the more confused I get, apparently it could be the head gasket or many other things.

A pressure test gives 12, 12, 13 & 14 bar (175, 175, 189 & 203 psi) on cylinders 1,2,3 & 4. a teaspoon of oil in the bores and this rises to 16,16,17 & 17 bar (232,232,246 & 246 psi). I can't find what the pressures are supposed to be, the 12 bar level doesn't seem to be too dreadful, I'm sure when I did a test years ago on my Ascona, a burst ring dropped the pressure to something ridiculous like 50psi?

The tops of the cylinders look oily but the plugs don't look too bad.

So, before I go and start stripping everything down and spending money, can anyone either confirm the diagnosis or point me in another direction?

·
Vendor
45,777 Posts
There may just be loads of oil in your exhaust system. Your compression readings are not too bad for an old 2 litre TS.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks PUD, I forgot to mention, it's only done 60k.

On startup, the smoke seems fine, almost non existant. It only gets bad as the engine heats up. Could this be just oil in the exhaust as you suggest?

I've read that there's a pressure relief valve on the oil pump, would that dump oil into the exhaust?

·
Vendor
45,777 Posts
Thanks PUD, I forgot to mention, it's only done 60k.

On startup, the smoke seems fine, almost non existant. It only gets bad as the engine heats up. Could this be just oil in the exhaust as you suggest?

I've read that there's a pressure relief valve on the oil pump, would that dump oil into the exhaust?
That seems to indicate oil in the exhaust. Once it heats up it starts to smoke.. Might take a good few hundred miles to clear, depending how much has gotten into the packing material.

Its not got anything to do with the oil pump, the pressure relief valve on the oil pump just starts to open at high revs to stop the oil pressure getting too high.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hello
I have a twin spark 166 that recently had a radiator problem that caused the headgasket to blow.
When started it blew a bit of white smoke out of the exhaust then cleared . I didnt realise at first it was the head gasket because there was no oil - water transfer or any pressure in the cooling system. It made a rattle type noise that scared the bejesus out of me and at first it was slight and got progressively noisier over a week or so and after taking it to a couple of garages they said "twin spark must be crank problems " but to me i was 97.5% sure having known the car for 97.5% of its life that has never run short of oil and always been serviced with best quality oil.
Eventually i had to call the AA out and they diagnosed it was top end such as failed cam shaft or some such. so it was taken to my usual garage who at first said "it will be the crank shaft and i had to stop him ripping the engine bottom half to bits. After he then replaced a so called faulty coil pack he then condemned the variator which to be fair had a slight rattle in the morning prior to the problem but then he did a compression test and proclaimed "head gasket b*ggered"
So in the end the head gasket was the problem but the rattle noise was caused by the gasket failing between two cylinders and cross firing between cylinders, Amazingly the water jacket remaining intact.So i think that your compression test would have shown up a cylinder head gasket problem.
Also i think that 60000 miles is much too soon for worn cylinder bores/rings
In my experience it takes ages for oil to clear out from exhausts once in so you may not have too much of a problem.
the radiator that caused the problem wasnt blocked completely but was obviously not up to the job of cooling properly and when removed the fins were also in a terrible state and my car is one of the last 55 plate cars so not a terribly great age.
So i sympathies with you and hope your car is not too poorly, If mine had been older though i think i may have thought twice on repairing it as the total bill including gasket ,head skim ,cam belt replacement and tensioners etc ,variator ,thermostat , 8 new plugs and one coil pack and radiator and all the other bits and bobs and labour was over £1600 of which i got £500 towards the bill from the AA breakdown repair insurance.
I think that yours is a simple case of too much oil as has been already said
I was going to change the 166 for another Alfa just before this struck but i am having to keep her a bit longer now.:lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts