Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone

My 166 Super has developed an oil leak, front pipes by the front offside wheel I believe. Having a read through the FAQs leads me to believe that these are no longer available.

What's my options? Anyone else had this problem recently or know a source for 2nd hand replacements etc?

Ta.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
This is a common problem -the oil cooler pipes.

1, they are difficult to get
2, they are a pain to change because they go right to the back of the engine up behind the oil filter...

I spoke to Autolusso about it. They do a kit for 3.0 GTVs which involves a compression joint on the original pipes as they come down from the rear of the engine (this bit is ok rust wise). It saves a lot of time and effort.

The GTV kit (approx £220 including new cooler) will need adapting for the 166...because the pipes are longer on the 166.......

What I did was find a recon cooler on ebay...luck find, and a chap in Italy with some nearly new pipes and a nearly new rad/cooler xmember frame when I was there on holiday. Total cost for parts...£60. trouble was it cost me £500 paying Autobritalia to change them for me.

These original oil pipes do come up in Europe if you scour ebay....I will have a look and post some links...but an adapted GTV kit may be a cheaper bet.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
My best mate is Polish...so if you want me to get them for you then no probs.
That's very much appreciated, could he get in touch with them?

I've emailed autolusso as well, if their Mocal kit is adaptable relatively easy I may look at that option

Looks like an arse of a job to change these!

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
Surely there's a way to splice in some noo pipe just like brake pipes butt in half inch.

Majority is as sound as a pound but just a wee bad bit.Need a Delbert McLintock.

Pomeo

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Surely there's a way to splice in some noo pipe just like brake pipes butt in half inch.

Majority is as sound as a pound but just a wee bad bit.Need a Delbert McLintock.

Pomeo
Maybe, need tay get a proper hoke at it and hay a looksy.

Aule bills cud stack up on her handy, plenty o other wee jobs tay day.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
That's very much appreciated, could he get in touch with them?

I've emailed autolusso as well, if their Mocal kit is adaptable relatively easy I may look at that option

Looks like an arse of a job to change these!
He is coming round tomorrow. We'll try and order them. If you end up with another solution - no worries, someone will want them at some point.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
He is coming round tomorrow. We'll try and order them. If you end up with another solution - no worries, someone will want them at some point.
2 x pipes ordered -express delivery - Total 188 zl as postage was 98zl express delivery - it is about £50 in total at a guess. Definitely needed to speak Polish to sort that out!!

Anyway, when they arrive I'll post on here. If you want them -fine we'll work out to get them to you, if not I'll put them on ebay or something!!

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I do have the old oil cooler from my 166 - just haven't attempted to undo the old pipes from it yet...needs plus-gas etc... it was easier just to cut the old pipes as I had a new cooler rad ready to go in.

If you want that I'll set about seeing if I can get the old pipes out whilst still leaving the cooler intact...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I do have the old oil cooler from my 166 - just haven't attempted to undo the old pipes from it yet...needs plus-gas etc... it was easier just to cut the old pipes as I had a new cooler rad ready to go in.

If you want that I'll set about seeing if I can get the old pipes out whilst still leaving the cooler intact...
No panic just yet but the offer is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
v8 - I have the pipes. I'll pm you with my mob. number.
Let me know if you want them or not.

If not, no worries I'll put them on ebay.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I think you really need to track down a decent cooler...problem is you can have new pipes...but will the old pipes separate from the cooler...? My old cooler, the pipes are well seized in there.....

If you take everything off but can't use the original cooler because the pipes are seized in you will be stuck..

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Massive appreciation thus far, goremohekan. Let me look into the logistics of this a little further and I'll decide what I'm going to do.

Cheers!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts