Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Jeep Cherokee is having the crank sensor replaced so is not available for general off road duties this week.

We had 125kgs of pig food plus a bit of horse food to get up to the stable, which is about 250m behind the house and all uphill. It has rained here non-stop for a fortnight. We have small rivers running down the drive and onto the road

The car at the back of the drive was the 166. I loaded it up and set off up through the paddock in reverse. Although it lost traction a few times it made it all the way up to the stables. When I got out, it had sunk in about 3 inches.

Unloaded, hopped in, selected drive and it cruised out, no problem. I was, quite frankly, amazed. :wow: is there no limit to this car's abilities?? :inlove::inlove:

·
Registered
128 Posts
And there was me considering a Defender for the wife to take care of her horsey duties. Although judging by the state of her work car i'll keep the 166 key's away from her.:cheese:

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
....to be fair we usually use the Mrs's Jeep Cherokee for horsey stuff and towing cars on trailers.

I'd recommend a Cherokee as an alternative to a Defender, depending on your budget. If spending loads then Defender is okay but under about 5k you don't get much Defender for your money.

The Cherokee comes with dual range transmission like the Landie but also gets electric heated leather seats, electric everything else, aircon, remote locking etc. etc. The bug eyed ones are not as good as the earlier square front ones.

Mrs bought the Ckerokee new in 2001 and this is the first issue we've had to sort.

Anyway, back on topic, the 166 does a bloody good job as a stand in but make sure you have the pressure washer ready to get rid of the mud before it dries. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
128 Posts
I know what you mean about the Defender,too dear for all you get.

I've looked at Cherokee's before and to be honest it is my favourite choice for geting a proper 4x4 for under 5k.

Considering older Kia Sportage/Hyundai Tucson too. Just need something to old to do the donkey work.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Had an old '94 vintage XJ Cherokee which we liked, and bought a 2006/7 Grand Cherokee last year, which we love! Bit juicy, but we don't do big miles so it's bearable. An awful lot of car for not much money. A bit over your 5k mark, but not by much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts