Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right guys, 4 and a half years of 166 ownership. I've loved every minute of it when it's been on the road, but patience is wearing thin. The story at the mo...

So, my Capri's decided to blow a piston ring, &, as a Capri club chairman/Capri enthusiast, I need that fixed, so bottom end rebuild. The 166 becomes my daily driver. Everything running fine, although I had some known issues which I was waiting for MOT in November. The other weekend it refused to start first time, cranking over but not firing. Got it started on 3rd attempt, then it was fine during the day. Just started new job, so to concentrate on that, took the 166 to my garage. They came back with diagnosis; transponder in key on it's way out. Spare key works fine This could be a battery issue but I'll find out, otherwise new key & coded. But then all the other stuff reared it's head; heater matrix, suspension arms, 2 illegal front tyres & broken middle box/backbox. All the jobs I wanted to hold on. So they'll do it all, but I requested they order a Raggazon exhaust as I'd wanted one for ages. The problem is the cost. Now I know we have some guys here that do the work themselves & believe me I want to try, but limited tools & more concentration into new job is more important. But the cost of the parts alone has dried me out.

Now, I've given my garage an ultimatum. This had better fix all the major issues going forward for MOT time. Any major money other than typical service & MOT that's the end, the car has to go. So come December/January time it might be up for sale. I'm going to regret it but enough is enough. and the Raggazon system will be fitted & relatively new, plus recently bought some Chipex to deal with some of the small paint chip issues. If it sails through the MOT then it's plain sailing, but it's on borrowed time. New experiences of different cars await, but nothing will compare in quite the same way.

I hope to get it back sometime this week & I truly hope it will feel better than ever. This has been a rotten year for cars with me. Between me & my girlfriend we own 2 classics & 2 modern cars (hers is a diesel Golf & a classic Mini) & a week or so ago all 4 were broken in some way. If I didn't love cars then I'd jack it all in & buy something truly reliable but truly dull. But confirmation of driving a hired, 200000 mile 1.6 Golf confirms every single reason why cars are so important & why I love them.

Sorry, late night rant over, I just hope that either I don't sell it yet, or if I do it goes to someone who can keep it on the road & make it a beauty.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I can empathise as things are coming to a similar end for me and my 166. All being well, it will be going to someone who will be able to give it more attention than I can. I've been critical of the 166 since I bought mine, but I do enjoy it as well, and will no doubt miss it when it's gone.

Will be back in my Volvo at the start of Sep.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I can empathise as things are coming to a similar end for me and my 166. All being well, it will be going to someone who will be able to give it more attention than I can. I've been critical of the 166 since I bought mine, but I do enjoy it as well, and will no doubt miss it when it's gone.

At least you have a buyer for your 166 though.....:D

There are a few of us who have space/time to collect 166s so I'm sure if you advertise it on here you'll find a buyer quickly enough.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
I feel your pain, a few weeks ago my six were down to one, the wifey's new Fiesta, all four Alfas out of action and the Saab in bits.

Saab now sold and one alfa working, but the wrong one! (147 sele) and now the wifes leg muscle has snapped, so I have the choice of two cars I am not keen on.....

·
Registered
6,165 Posts

You've been saying this before I sold mine lol.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Aye, but this time it's actually happeneing :lol: I would have put it up for sale late last year but the water pump shat itself so it cost me the best part of a grand by the time it had the belts etc done and the MOT. Obviously for a car that often struggles to command a value much higher than that I wasn't going to sell it then as it'd be like giving it away, so I had to keep it and get more use out of it.

And now I'm virtually giving it away after all :cheese:

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I have it back. Air con and heater matrix fixed, blows out lovely cool clean air. Ragazzon exhaust is lovely & sounds great. My dilemma still stands. Any more major money come MOT time & it's gone!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts