Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an S type Jag for three years. Decided to change it for an Alfa. Wanted to stay with a larger size car so decided to buy a 2004 166 as the 166 appeared to be the largest of the Alfa saloon range. Looking through on line specs it appears the 166 has the same wheelbase, approx weight etc as the 159.

Do they share the same floor pan? If so what is the difference in size, interior room, concept, target market etc between the 159 and the 166. Is this why the 166 has been dropped?

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
It never took off that well in the uk. I know a few that would of considered one, but didn't choose that option finally.:):

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the comment Zulu. I do not think they were much more popular over here. Given that they share they same floor plan (do they?) what different segment of the market did Alfa target with the 166 compared to the 159

·
Registered
363 Posts
Different floorpan altogether. The 166 dates back to early 80's "Type four" collaboration with Saab, Lancia and Fiat - 9000, Thema, Chroma and of course the Alfa 164.The irony is that the 159 plarform was originally a GM project meant to be shared with Saab, who for why I don't know pulled out. This collaboration is often blamed for the excess weight of the 159, Brera & Spider.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts