Alfa Romeo Forum banner

166 lumbar support sets..???

779 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Mufasa 
#1 ·
I'm really loving my 166, what a seriously under-rated car. But one thing which is spoiling it a bit for me is a sore back! I'm 99% convinced it's because of the lack of lumbar support on the seat as it's bang-on that particular spot. Apart from this lower "clutch-side" LHS back I can get proper comfy & they're great chairs, it's an odd omission for a car built at this level IMHO.

Apart from a company car Vauxhall Vectra many years ago (that thing was torture chamber on wheels) I've never had lumbar issues before even on my old GTV, 156 etc which didn't have lumbar support :thinking:

So.... is it true the 166 Facelift optional seats with memory support functions / buttons DEFINITELY have lumbar support as well? It's just I've sourced a used set for an OK price so I might do the swap. The seller isn't an Alfa guy but is fairly sure it has lumbar button as it has the memory buttons, but he's away from the garage for a good few days before he can test it. So I thought I'd ask the experts....:thumbup:

Or do I just get a decent lumbar support cushion / inflatable thingy off ebay & save a good few quid? Do they work...???

Cheers!!

Ooops - i meant "seats" in title not "sets....

See less See more
#3 ·
If you do swap the seats you need to disconnect the battery first.
I tend to leave it for a few minutes, then start working.
There's an airbag connector (yellow) under both front seats as well
as a couple of power cables with block connectors.
If you forget to disconnect the battery you'll get the airbag light which can
only be cleared by diagnostics.
The seats are held down by 4 6mm hex bolts.
There's also the seat belt to swap over.
Tie a gentle knot in it so it doesn't reel in too far.
Seats are heavy and slightly awkward getting in and out.
Beware of the adjustment rails against any paintwork

#4 ·
Mufasa, you are indeed The Font Of All Knowledge. It's what makes forums like these so invaluable to folk like me :thumbup: Cheers for those top tips.

If I go for them I'll probably leave the battery connected TBH & get someone like Autolusso to re-set the airbag light at next service / repair. I can live with the warning light no probs (it was permanently on in my old 916 GTV). It's just had a couple of bad experiences when I've disconnected the battery in the past re gremlins thereafter ..... I have this knack when it comes to cars & DIY unfortunately :banghead:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.