Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received only two keys with the 166 I just bought, one of which is a valet key. Apart from buying one from Alfa at the usual exorbitant price, is there any other way of getting a transponder key?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
A valet key? I have two keys only - both ar flip block keys, did not realise that I was missing one!

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
No mention of a valet key in my handbook - I guess that this was just for certain model years or the previous owner has had a "simple" key cut as one of the block keys was lost.

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
only the older ones had the valet key dougie - pre 2001 had 2 red plip keys and 1 useless valet key....later ones had the two flip out style keys with the boot release.

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
only the older ones had the valet key dougie - pre 2001 had 2 red plip keys and 1 useless valet key....later ones had the two flip out style keys with the boot release.
My T reg came with one well worn key which comes out of the steering lock in any position. My Y reg built in 2000 came with 2 flip out keys with boot release.

Was going to replace all the locks on the T reg but with all the hassle I'm now only doing this if there is a mega problem or I stupidly lose the key.

Pomeo

·
AO Member, 166/164 Lounge Winner 09
820 Posts
Sorry to dredge up this thread (I've been searching the forum) but I have flip keys (red ones) and a valet key.

Is my car some sort of Frankenstein? I've looked through the reciepts from new and all the keys are original.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
You have red flip keys? My flip out block keys are black and have a boot release button.

Are you sure - Are yours not standard red keys (non-flip)? What build year is yours? My 1999 156 had red keys, my 2001 156 had black block flip out keys - As Pomeo says, 2000 change looks about right.

·
820 Posts
Mine is built in February 2000 and has two red (sort of crimson really) flip keys with a door lock/unlock button and boot release. It also has a valet key.

I thought they were either the red non-flip style or the black flip style too until I got my car. The keys, as far as I know, have not been replaced. I have reciepts from its first registration in November 2001 and there is nothing there to state that there has been anything untoward with the keys.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Maybe unique to the Australian market?

·
820 Posts
Maybe the red flip keys were made for a short period of time then before Alfa went to black keys?

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
You have red flip keys? My flip out block keys are black and have a boot release button.

Are you sure - Are yours not standard red keys (non-flip)? What build year is yours? My 1999 156 had red keys, my 2001 156 had black block flip out keys - As Pomeo says, 2000 change looks about right.
I was confused about keys to and every time I log on I see Tony's sticky re KEY EQUIPMENT and I kept checking that for the answers:cheese: :cheese: :cheese: Nowt to do with actual KEYS.

Pomeo came with 1 well worn key red 156 style with solid metal type key insert.(Appears 156 has 2 different kinds of metal key sticks)

Lacey 1 owner before me I got 3 keys (Not quite red more a maroon or claret (The old claret and amber ..(Motherwell FC colours) Who says education doesn;t pay):cheese: ) 2:cheese: flip :cheese: and 1 pear shaped valet key.Also got a handbook:thumbs:

The handbook shows both sets of keys flip and non flip.And so even Alfa didn't know at that time what keys you would get with your car.They covered both eventualities in this transiton period around 2000. You had to look at your keys and pick the relevant section.

Don't know when Black ones appeared on the scene

BUT a BIG but is an educated guess is that they ran out of red paint after spraying AGM's car and then had to use what was left ie Black:thumbs:

Pomeo

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have THREE black flip keys.:thumbs:

·
Registered
28 Posts
The valet key may work for a valet but it is in fact a key to turn the alarm off - except that on uk models there isn't a hole for you to put it in ( RH side of boot ) - deleted on UK models for insurance purposes. This means when the other keys stop working (grrrrrr like mine !!) you can't turn the alarm off - so now I have an un alarmed car with a stupid flashing light on the dash board. I could of course buy a new key but they want £ 140 + vat + £ 40 programming fee EACH ! - not a happy bunny

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
The valet key may work for a valet but it is in fact a key to turn the alarm off - except that on uk models there isn't a hole for you to put it in ( RH side of boot ) - deleted on UK models for insurance purposes. This means when the other keys stop working (grrrrrr like mine !!) you can't turn the alarm off - so now I have an un alarmed car with a stupid flashing light on the dash board. I could of course buy a new key but they want £ 140 + vat + £ 40 programming fee EACH ! - not a happy bunny
According to the hand book, the valet key is a valet key, nothing more. The alarm is deactivated using a normal door/ignition key, as is the airbag on/off switch.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Mine is a 2000 x reg and came with two red (crimson) flip keys and the Valet key which from memory is grey in colour and never been used:) I think Alfa changed from Red to Black for their keys sometime post 2001ish...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts