Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
I was looking at doing this myself shortly, but I wanted to use a different mp3 not ipod. so was wondering if I could just connect the headphone output of the mp3 player to the RCA cables, whereas I think they mentioned connecting line out levels from the ipod. Would headphone work or does it have to be line levels ?

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
headphone out is fine - that's what i use from the ipod/iphone as i've never got round to fitting a proper lineout connector...

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
is this a better option then a fm transmitter? If not, whats the best transmitter to go for? Not sure if you guys knew but Becker i think is Sony

·
Registered
313 Posts
is this a better option then a fm transmitter? If not, whats the best transmitter to go for? Not sure if you guys knew but Becker i think is Sony

It does not matter what fm-transmitter you use if you look for review you notice some one giving it 5 star while another one only giving it one star,I use Sendai XM800 FM Transmitter for my 166 and it works great for me,easy,wireless,you can attach ipod or usb pen,

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
FM transmitters are easy but sound pretty crappy - much better to use the line in on the ICS. Becker isn't sony 'esh - they just use sony transports in their cd players.

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
the sound quality isn't the best. any assistance appreciated.
when doing a similar thing, I found some experimentation useful.

Take the output wires from the ipod, cut them, pare off the plastic sleeve a bit and try them twisted together in various combinations and see which has the best quality. There was a big improvement in what would be wired 'wrong' against what was wired up 'right', if that makes sense. Finally solder.

Something to do with phasing IIRC whereby the speaker from the left was cancelling out the speaker from the right, so when the wires are the connected differently you get full bass.

HTH

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
when doing a similar thing, I found some experimentation useful.

Take the output wires from the ipod, cut them, pare off the plastic sleeve a bit and try them twisted together in various combinations and see which has the best quality. There was a big improvement in what would be wired 'wrong' against what was wired up 'right', if that makes sense. Finally solder.

Something to do with phasing IIRC whereby the speaker from the left was cancelling out the speaker from the right, so when the wires are the connected differently you get full bass.

HTH
Thanks Purple, appreciated. You have pretty much described the sound quality I'm receiving - no bass and virtually no vocal.

As for cutting, twisting and soldering, I may pass on that as I don't have the equipment nor inclination to potentially trash a decent (and not very cheap) phono lead on something that might not work - I think even a big improvement on what I have now would still sound average...

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
headphone out is fine - that's what i use from the ipod/iphone as i've never got round to fitting a proper lineout connector...
Hi Niall,
What technique did you use to fit your system?
Did you need to do any modifications to receive a decent sound?

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
Hazey, I used a headphone extension wire to trash with an RCA adapter on the end of it,
cost of potential trashing, £1.79 from Maplins :D

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Thanks Purple, appreciated. You have pretty much described the sound quality I'm receiving - no bass and virtually no vocal.
It does sound like a phase issue where ground is swapped to hot at one end of the cable.

I haven't been following the thread, how have you connected the 3.5mm jack to the ICS?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It does sound like a phase issue where ground is swapped to hot at one end of the cable.

I haven't been following the thread, how have you connected the 3.5mm jack to the ICS?
Hope the photo helps...
If it works, I'm planning to keep the switch in the boot as I'll not be listening to CD's, and the lead from the iPod is for testing purposes only - have a new unopened 5m lead to thread into the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
OK, I getcha. :thumbs:
Because the CD changer was giving good sound before the addition, we can deduce that the wiring from that to the ICS are OK so unless the CD changer and the ICS have been wired out of phase, it's probably something in the switch box. To eliminate that, get a couple of these; Phono Coupler : Phono Adaptors : Maplin and connect the leads directly.

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
OK, I getcha. :thumbs:
Because the CD changer was giving good sound before the addition, we can deduce that the wiring from that to the ICS are OK so unless the CD changer and the ICS have been wired out of phase, it's probably something in the switch box. To eliminate that, get a couple of these; Phono Coupler : Phono Adaptors : Maplin and connect the leads directly.

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Yep, that's the one. Nice photo by the way. ;)

All you're doing is replacing the switch box with the couplers, so connect the phono end of the 3.5mm ipod lead to the coupler and then the pre-installed CD changer audio lead to the other side.
I'm assuming that you need a blank CD in the changer which the ICS is told to play on repeat so that audio gets from the CD changer phono leads?

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
you can just leave a normal CD in and let it be - only thing is that the ICS will fade as it changes track/CD

Other option is to burn a CD with 1 long empty track (70mins), pop it in cd slot 6 and that means you'll only get a fade every 70 mins....having it in slot 6 minimises the hunting for other CD's in the cart.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts