Alfa Romeo Forum banner

166 Intermittent Cruise Control

2K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  marktodd 
#1 ·
Anyone any idea why the cruise on my 166 suddenly cuts out every now and then. No pattern to it from what I can see. It could be on for 5 mins or 50 mins before it just cuts out. I can quickly set it again by just rotating the 'set' switch again on the stalk.

I'm not accelerating/braking or generally touching any controls so I have a feeling it's an electrical problem. Not sure whether anyone has ever experienced this before.

Obviously not a show stopping problem but mildly irritating non the less.

Beyond this (and a slight rattle from somewhere as yet unidentified under the bonnet) I'm really enjoying running the 166 :thumbs:

#4 ·
:cheese: That's a helpful message :rolleyes:...

Yes, I'll be there. Look for the red one - private reg of A3 OFA - cheers :thumbs:

I am no expert when it drops off if you lift the cluthc pedal with you foot coes it re-engage, it might be the swicth on the clutch pedal may require a little adjustment
Havent tried that Geoff - but that's because she's an auto box :lol:

#6 ·
But why would the brake pedal/switch make the cruise disengage when I may not have pressed the brake for several mins (i.e 5 - 50 mins). The cruise disengages when the brake is pressed not the other way round surely???

Anyway - worth a try - I assume the brake pedal switch is readily accessable under the brake pedal somewhere :confused: (if it is it'll be a first :lol:)

#9 ·
I had a similar fault when I got mine - in fact it was sold to me with the cruise control as not working (I wasn't fussed about having it) although it was actually intermittent, rather than totally not working.

10 mins with my head in the driver's footwell got it fixed as it was a dodgy connection on one of the switches (brake or clutch pedal, I can't remember). Just disconnected it, remounted it, adjusted it and all was working.

Might not get yours going but it is worth a look.

#10 ·
Does the cryuise control relay on the abs sensors for road speed? Reason i ask is my cv boot decided to destroy it's self and in the process it wiped out the abs sensor wir, well it ripped it clean off and the cruise was on at the same time, cruise cut out and wouldn't restart for a good few hours.

I have replaced the sensor and all is fine again but was just wondering.

Dan

#11 ·
I just picked up my 166 on Saturday and my cruise doesn't work at all. From reading the instructions I'm assuming that the 'Cruise' wording should illuminate on your dash display when you flick it to the on position? This doesn't happen on my car and trying to then set it nothing happens so I can only assume it's broken. First job to be repaired then.

On a different note is Alfadiag easy/cheap enough to buy (including the necessary cable to connect) and install onto a laptop running Vista via a USB connection?

#12 ·
You need to activate it once you've switched it to the 'On' position. To do this, hold the + or - toggle switch for a moment once you're up to speed and in the correct gear (if a manual).

AlfaDiag Alfa Romeo Diagnostic Software to purchase the software - Ebay for a VAGcom OBD2 lead, which are about a tenner or so.
I have a serial cable and a USB>serial adaptor which I use for work and it's perfect. :thumbs:

#14 ·
Cheers Bobda but it's definitely not working. I tried it this morning when cruising at 40mph and held it for at least 10 seconds until the car had deccelerated to 20 mph and decided it was kaput! I'm planning to meet the lads at the Falkirk Wheel next Saturday so maybe one of them can advise me.

On a different note is the VAGcom OBD2 lead the same one that VW & Audis use as if it is I think I have one in the garage from years of owning VWs and Audis! If it is does anyone know why Alfa use the same lead?

#16 ·
On a different note is the VAGcom OBD2 lead the same one that VW & Audis use as if it is I think I have one in the garage from years of owning VWs and Audis! If it is does anyone know why Alfa use the same lead?
Yes, it is - I originally bought mine for my Golf VR6. :D

OBD is an almost universal format for diagbostics, not specific to one marque. The computer languages used are often quite different, though.

#18 ·
Just as an update to this tread, and anyone else who's had intermittent problems with their cruise control. Mine never worked properly, had serveral people look at it after I couldn't get it to work. Alfa workshop had a look go it to work, as the clutch pedal switch was faulty, make sure its the three pole type not the two pole. Then after about 10-20 mins driving stopped working again, nothing, leave it for a day, worked for 10-20 mins. Took it back to Jamie, and after he had half the dash out traced the fault to a dry joint of one of the wires on the inside of the ecu. Bit of a resoldier and all fine! So probably a fault from new! But just another place to look, as Jamie said there's not that much to the cruise control system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.