Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help

My 166 doesn't cope well with our rainy Auckland climate. In heavy rain I get water leaks coming in from dash both left and right sides. It pools in dash before splashing out down the sides into the foot well when driving. Not sure where it's coming from without taking apart the dash. Anyone else have this problem? :confused:

Appreciated. Marty.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Ok, I never had cause to check on my 166's but most cars have a drain under the scuttle panel at the back of the engine. This drain is like a large tray that diverts the water past the engine block via 2 drain holes. these drain holes are usually flexible, you squeeze them to open them. They can get blocked with debris causing the tray to overflow. Worth a look.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
just to make sure, im not really the person to talk to on this, but its def not coolent is it? What are your door seals like, and have you replaced your w/screen at all, if not it still might be worth looking at the rubber around the w/scree.

·
Registered
10,958 Posts
yo marty

Derek AKA Rossolusso had mega water problems..car related.....IIRC he traced it to big grommets missing from under the winscreen wiper scuttle panel.

Just a suggestion.

Or is it the plastic flap over the recirculating box under the same panel.

pomeo

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ta Pomeo you're on the same solution as MItch166 - must be worth a crack then its the the drencher hose! Cheers. Marty

·
Registered
120 Posts
It definetely sounds like blocked drain holes under the scuttle panel. Had exactly the same problem on a VW Polo a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
26 Posts
marty 166, I'm in Auckland and last year I had the same problem. I was told Aircon by Continental Cars, so i sent it in and they end up having to give it to a panel beater who stripped the whole inside out and then rang me to say they could find the source of the leak. I rang my insurance company who said they would pay for the damage and labour but I had to pay for the cause. After 2 weeks they blocked where the water was entering the car and put a tube thru to under the car. My cost 4170, insutnce cost $2500. Plus Continental lent me a car for the 2 weeks.
I have heard a heater matrix which also causes the Bags ECU to blow. Try Italian Auto Centre in Otahuhu for any parts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem of water leaks into the cabin. Seems to come from the engine bay dripping into the foot well behind the carpet.

I have had a garage look at the problem but they did not trace the fault.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Bill my next problem was similar to yours, water coming in behind the dash, it was the heater matrix. My gearbox got confused due to water getting onto computer. I removed computer opens case and clean with isopropolalchol then resealed, proved the gearbox was Ok and then got the agents to replace the heater matrix. Now 2 years on it's fine.

·
Administrator
Alfa 159 1.9 JTDm Sportwagon
5,735 Posts
Another one is a block drain pipe from the evaporator box which if blocked / restricted water overflows back into the car. The thing is, its behind the engine and you need to remove the engine guard and get to it from underneath. I had this year when the rain continued for hours and there was damp carpet in the drivers foot well, At no other time has this happen and at the next oil change I am going to find this hidden pipe.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts