Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,
firstly a note or apology to the forum moderators & admin in that I have looked at the discussion about the complete ICS system but wasn't sure if this question of mine should go in there or be kept separate here. Please feel free to move this if I've put it in the wrong place.

So, a few weeks ago my ICS screen began to fade. Over a couple of days it worsened until it showed nothing. At that point the radio / Cd ... etc were still working so I was convinced the problem wasn't the complete system, just the screen.
I say "at that point" because since then I had a battery problem and lost all power. Obviously the radio etc don't work any longer as the system wants my ICS code, but I can't input this with only a blank screen.

I called in at a local Alfa dealer just to enquire about a new screen but they stated that they only offered the complete system as a replacement unit for a mere €3500. After I picked myself from the floor and stopped laughing I started looking around ebay. I let one pass which looked a little battered but then found a used screen which looked pretty good. The seller (an authorised Alfa workshop) claimed it had been used as a display model and I can believe this as it looks pretty new and unscathed.

Having looked at the thread about the ICS system I'm convinced that with a little 'application' it can be changed, but I'm now wondering if this is really the problem:
I've looked around an Alfa forum in Germany which claims (in 2008) this is a pretty common problem and it's not the screen at fault but some kind of what they call an "inverter" or "transformator" in the electronics underneath or behind the screen. One poster said he used to work for Siemens (the designer of this unit) and this is not a part which can be replaced by Alfa, nor Siemens. There followed a discussion about trying to make do with something similar which may be available from electrical shops.

Can anyone here shed any further light on this problem please?
Is it worth trying to just sweap the screens?
Any help or comments much appreciated,
many thanks in advance.

PS my 166 is a Jan. 2000 model.

·
Registered
10,920 Posts
Hi all,
firstly a note or apology to the forum moderators & admin in that I have looked at the discussion about the complete ICS system but wasn't sure if this question of mine should go in there or be kept separate here. Please feel free to move this if I've put it in the wrong place.

So, a few weeks ago my ICS screen began to fade. Over a couple of days it worsened until it showed nothing. At that point the radio / Cd ... etc were still working so I was convinced the problem wasn't the complete system, just the screen.
I say "at that point" because since then I had a battery problem and lost all power. Obviously the radio etc don't work any longer as the system wants my ICS code, but I can't input this with only a blank screen.

I called in at a local Alfa dealer just to enquire about a new screen but they stated that they only offered the complete system as a replacement unit for a mere €3500. After I picked myself from the floor and stopped laughing I started looking around ebay. I let one pass which looked a little battered but then found a used screen which looked pretty good. The seller (an authorised Alfa workshop) claimed it had been used as a display model and I can believe this as it looks pretty new and unscathed.

Having looked at the thread about the ICS system I'm convinced that with a little 'application' it can be changed, but I'm now wondering if this is really the problem:
I've looked around an Alfa forum in Germany which claims (in 2008) this is a pretty common problem and it's not the screen at fault but some kind of what they call an "inverter" or "transformator" in the electronics underneath or behind the screen. One poster said he used to work for Siemens (the designer of this unit) and this is not a part which can be replaced by Alfa, nor Siemens. There followed a discussion about trying to make do with something similar which may be available from electrical shops.

Can anyone here shed any further light on this problem please?
Is it worth trying to just sweap the screens?
Any help or comments much appreciated,
many thanks in advance.

PS my 166 is a Jan. 2000 model.
Luv yer style lovey

Have a butchers at

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa...n-fix-for-a-fiver.html?highlight=pomeo+maplin

Can shining a torch at the screen assist in putting in yer code?

Pomeo

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahhh thanks, that looks promising, I'll look at it tomorrow when I have the day free :)

I did buy that replacement screen from ebay, it was €89 which I considered a good price, certainly compared to the €3500 :cheese:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damn, the battery's flat again.
Not due to any problem other than I just don't use the car much any more. I used to drive to 'work' every day and the Alfa was well used, but now that the company car lives with me I only use my Alfa very occasionally and then mainly short trips.
It must be two weeks since I last used it and then it was just a short trip or two. Since then it's been sitting in my garage.
Maybe it doesn't help that the temperatures are currently just above zero .....

Anyway, good news is that I could see something of the screen when I shone a torch at it, so I'm hopeful of getting the ICS code in when I have power again.
Bad news is that it's going onto the battery charger first.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi again and time for an update .....
firstly thanks for the link Pomeo that has helped a lot, in fact that Maplin's cold cathode inverter looks exactly right. Sadly we have no Maplin's in GErmany and I don't know what our equivalent would be but I decided to think outside the box a little. As this is something for a "screen" I didn't ask at my local workshop but called in at my local PC repair shop whose owner made my computer to order last year. He knows this concept well and also looked at the German Alfa forum for further info. He now has my spare screen to check the connection type and will hopefully source the right component for me.

I'm going back to see him this afternoon and maybe he has some good news ..... more later ....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks for the updates.

I'm very interested in how you go, and especially interested in the specifications of the inverter. If you can provide any info on that, it would be great. Here in NZ I'm finding it hard to source an inverter, and I'm not even sure what I'm asking for. Surely all cold cathode inverters are not interchangeable? The Maplin one (Cold Cathode Inverter | Maplin) doesn't give me much to go by.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No problem, I'm having to wait a while due to everything closing down for Christmas & New Year but hopefully there'll be more news next week.
I may be wrong here but I think that 'Maplin' solution is a kind of work-around where it's a part that does the job but needs a little, shall we say application to make it fit. What I'm hoping to get is a more original part which will take the existing connections without welding ... etc .... But we'll see.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry this is taking some time, but at least I now know why; the part is being ordered from USA.
It has been ordered for me and is hopefully now on its journey across the pond.

I have three full spec. sheets which I'll scan and include here later, but for now the details are:
ERG 8m052038

Endicott Research Group Inc.
2601 Wayne Street
Endicott
NY 13760

·
Registered
10,920 Posts
Went to get some at Maplins before they ceased trading BUT like Old Mother Hupboard they had none left :cry:
But they'd have goat them fray china so will need to have a search when I open one up.

Pomeo

1 - 14 of 14 Posts