Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I brought my 166 I thought someone had spraypainted the glovebox, all sticky & gooey & soft.. A quick google revealed the truth.. Anyhow here is a fix- if you dont mind a bit of elbow grease & getting stuck in, excuse the pun. I started with the glovebox because it was so disgusting I didn't even want to touch it. Nothing seems to move this coating at all! I read a few threads about it & set to work. Armed with heineken (was a warm day!) I pulled out the trusty brake clean- no didn't make a dent on the awful tar like substance- my interior is black by the way. Petrol, kero, nail polish remover, foaming wheel cleaner, degreasers... Man this is hard work & getting really frustrated now.. More beer. Scraped a bit off with a blade & found it was 3-5mm thick in places. Yuk. Now that it had nearly every chemical known to mankind thrown at it I thought I'd better wash it off in some hot water with a bit of multi cleaner to get rid of the petro-chemical stuff.. & hey presto it started to break up a bit.. So refill the tub with super hot water & soapy multi cleaner & away we go! I used a scotchbrite pad as well. It took 4 go's at it to get it all off & alot of sweating but was really worth it. Underneath the goo the plastic is black & has the same pattern as the top parts of the dashboard that isn't coated. They only seem to have coated around the lower dash thankfully, I have no idea why they did it either?? A friend of mines seen the same awful stuff in Maserati's & fiats. Must be an Italian thing. I went in a bit too eager with the blade so had to give it a quick light spray with 3M vinyl spray- flat black. Looks really nice & factory & no more stickyness! Hopefully this helps some of you with sticky bits! Cheers!

·
Registered
27 Posts
go to an upholsterer and get him to cover it by leather! (note: car leather is not the same as leather for funiture, car leather has dyed with lot of cemicals to be much resistant than furniture-leather. green house effect in summer, UV, very cold in winter, car leather is inflammable etc etc)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, that was my 1st idea, however the sticky stuff still needs to be stripped for leather to be glued on. More leather the better! Mmmm luxury.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I know.. I think leather could be the best solution, however it needs lot of work on it.
More leather the better? :)
I work as e leather-seller, i have at least 10.000 sqmt stock, thats why i am addict of leather:)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi guys, I know this is an old thread but I have just finished doing my plastics with the interior. Found the best stuff for the paint removal was some warm water in a tub, some all purpose scouring sponges and a 750ml bottle of selleys liquid sugar soap, make sure to keep the sugar soap up to the scouring sponge and keep cleaning on a regular basis. Cost all up under $10. Since I am in Australia I got Crash Supplies in Adelaide to mix me up 500ml of SEM Plastic/Vinyl paint by sending down the coloured screw that holds up the fuse box cover as a sample (only part that wasn't sticky and dirty), took them about two weeks for the turnaround and cost me $140 Australian which was for the paint as well as a Preval portable spray gun and spare aerosol can for the spray gun. This system is quite easy to use and you don't have to thin the paint, just put it in the spray gun container and start spraying. All up it took me one day of cleaning and prepping and about Half a day to put it all back together again. Makes a big difference to the cars interior.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts