Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
or lack thereof? I've started looking around for a nice 3.0 or 3.2 facelifted 166. So far they all seem to cash in at around 16k. Covert that to euro and add a hefty 8K euro in VRT for importing to Ireland and you're looking at approx 32k euro. Which is a bit steep considering my 166TS 2001 model with just under 60k miles is worth about 8k euro now. Are they holding their value cos they're rare or am I naive in thinking 30k to 17k in 2 years is a substantial drop in price, just not cheap enough for me?

By the way compare that 32k euro for a 166 2 years old to 38k euro for brand new 159 1.9 Sportswagon base model??

·
Registered
149 Posts
I think the game must have been well and truly up by the time the facelift came around (damn you Clarkson!) and more people knew just how good this car was. I have to say, if I was in the market and had up to, say, £18k to spend I reckon I would go for it and take a chance on the depreciation. I think, as the facelift is (IMOH) better looking, they are not quite the 'marmite car' that the older shape was and therefore, more likely to hold their value due to the wider appeal. Just a theory but one I would take a chance on if I could! Still an awful lot of damned fine car for the money, although I appreciate your Euro/exchange dilema.

·
Registered
652 Posts
The typical quoted trade in on my <60k miles '02 is more like 6k (trade hate 'em). They are advertised around 12-14k Eur.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
What alloys? Not all the same - I think the Ti alloys are braw!

Where have you been looking Herodutus? I have seen them at much lower than that - From Auto Trader at present there are a 6 examples starting from £13990 and that is at Veloces of London! Be patient, they do crop up, one on fleabay recently went for under £10k (3.2, 66k miles but Ti spec), one on pistonheads recently also for around £11k from memory (3.0 sportronic, fllet company sale) - unsure if the latter sold but no ad now.

But is it worth it? My 30/04/2003 registered "03" plate was purchased last August for £4100 (85k miles, FSH) - Fair enough I had to spend around £1k getting it sorted and tidied. BUT would I have paid 3 times that for 6 months to a year newer and a new face - NO CHANCE!!

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
Wow dougie....2 years ago I bought my 99 T plate 2.5 v6 Momo Leather ,sat nav DSP,82K for £2,500. The previous owner paid £5,600 the year before for it.(Now THAT IS DEPRECIATION) Last year I bought my 2001 Y regd 115K 1 (EXCEPTIONALLY CAREFUL) previous owner no sat nav or leather but in brilliant condition ,again for £2,500.

Now the both have cheap private plates on them.Well before the first S regd when the 166 appeared.So anyone looking couldn't tell if either of mine are 98 or 2003 ie prefacelift so in theory my old cars could pass of like yours as 2003 even although they are older.

So much for DVLA and making a car look younger than it is.

Negative equity in reverse.
Pomeo

Still wish I had the cash for the one on ebay last month.I wonder how he is getting on with her?.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Find the right one and top drawer mtoring dont come any cheaper, mines's a 99V 3.0 super with 106k, needs a air flow meter £135, radiator switch - a tenner, front top arm - £25 offof ebay and i gave £1800 for it. Dont tell the non believers and keep em cheap for us - Elitism just isn't the same when everyone is doing it! If I had known how good the are woulda had one ages ago, just thought they were a "facelifted 164", the fact that its a big 156 takes it streets ahead.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dougie166 said:
What alloys? Not all the same - I think the Ti alloys are braw!

Where have you been looking Herodutus? I have seen them at much lower than that - From Auto Trader at present there are a 6 examples starting from £13990 and that is at Veloces of London! Be patient, they do crop up, one on fleabay recently went for under £10k (3.2, 66k miles but Ti spec), one on pistonheads recently also for around £11k from memory (3.0 sportronic, fllet company sale) - unsure if the latter sold but no ad now.

But is it worth it? My 30/04/2003 registered "03" plate was purchased last August for £4100 (85k miles, FSH) - Fair enough I had to spend around £1k getting it sorted and tidied. BUT would I have paid 3 times that for 6 months to a year newer and a new face - NO CHANCE!!
I think that's the question I'm really asking myself Dougie. Your own car as quoted would have cost me well over 10K in euros

My own '01 was bought for 17k with just over 40k miles and has had roughly 6k invested in it in a year and a half via servicing, parts and repairs. That's 23K in total. For an extra 7k to that I could have a 2004 3.2 model.

I'm 30 this year and I think I'm falling foul of all those capitalist "buying things makes you feel better" ideas I rallied against in my college years. I think most people call it a midlife crisis!:lol:

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
A midlife crisis at 30...boy if you accerate any faster youll not see 33 if its on the same scale as the 166's depreciation...If I keep mine another year or 2 i'll ned to pay £3,000 for someone to take it away....No Chance.

The first 166 I saw was the one I bought in Bradford.

I had read an article in a paper the year before as to the worst cars for depreciation.

1.Some Lada (If I recall correctly)
2.Peugot 607
3.Alfa 166...The unwanted exucutive saloon

What do people want...It's a dream to drive......Top Gear Jeremy C loves it No wonder.

I looked at that time and they were still fetching £6000 for the cheapest..! year later Everything comes to he who waits.

My next a facelift with all the fitted extras 3.2 engine For £1,000.

Again I'll need to wait afew years.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm hoping it's a midlife crisis and that I'm not losing all my faculties.

These high price 166s are low milage though. I think the veloces one has 20k on the clock. So you're getting them half price after 2-3 years and very low mileage. I still think it's a bit of a deal. If I compare the price I would be paying for the 3.2 or 3.0 version to other cars on sale here in Ireland I get a list of Audi A4 TDIs and older beemers. It's probably just more money than someone like me should spend!

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
probably not that bad the depreciation at the moment because when they would have been first bought the discounts available were pretty massive....

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mind you I've just had a nice suprise. The Panda 100hp is retailing over here at 17k which is just slightly over the converted sterling price of £9995. Sensible.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
166 or Panda? Are you really that confused or are you thinking of a second motor?

I run the 166 Super and a Seicento Schumacher - Totally different motoring but both are great fun!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep, I pretty confused to be honest. If I were to be sat down in front of a jury and asked why buy a 3.0 166, I'd only be able to give a churlish "cos I wanna". The Panda is a nice, quickish, drivable car that's had rave reviews. It's half the price and cheaper to run etc. But this is all going off topic now and becoming a personal debate between me and I.

I think the rareness of the facelifted model will help them hold their prices better. I'd be willing to pay that amount for cars with such low mileage as well.

OT: I ran a Seicento Sporting as my first car, my OH goes on about it still 5 years later. Brilliant! My second car will probably be Manta to be honest

·
Registered
6 Posts
Am I the only one here who prefers the look of pre-facelift cars? I just think that the lines of the original are nicer, particularly the slope of the bonnet and with the 5-hole 17" horseshoe alloys.

Having said all that I would absolutely love a laow mile manual 3.2 !!

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
I agree with you Phil - The facelift does not flow as nicely and looks a bit odd at first glance, it does grow on you though and rarity makes it even more desirable!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts