Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i couldnt resist it I am the owner of another 166 dun dun derrrr! 3rd one :rolleyes:
it has a crackered engine (last owner ran it dry of the black stuff).
any advice how to start the transplant or not if it can be fixed cheap enough??
it still turns over but does not sound very healthy at all... and it was subject to a full 2 head rebuild aswell not to long ago by inta in leicester
its a 99 2.5v6 sportronic but the body is MINT as is the interior and has just hit 60k so I think its definatey worth saving ...

It will be 2 of us working on it and our first time at a full engine ... eek
but one of us is a mechanic just very very wary of what we are dealing with ..

So whats first ?
and whats best ?
and what cost?

it is a beautiful car ... lts crying to be saved :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
your not happy being an understatement by the sounds of it!!! ! we want whole working engine if cheap enough perhaps you could make me an offer on the recon heads when we under way and.. when we figure out how to get underway :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
icheb the car is grey,sum pics in my profile
Well at least I see you got the IM :lol: Strange thread for me to have to look to find it mind :cheese:

You got my second IM I assume?

Thanks anyway fella

·
Registered
741 Posts
colonel

The engine usually comes out the bottom.
Easiest transplant is whole front subframe - then work on it out of the car.

Seem like you have bottom end issues (at least) with engine run low on oil. Suggest this engine becomes a "project" once you find a replacment.
Bear in mind any replacement engine which needs "heads off", will cost hundreds to sort. The V6 head gasket kit alone is £165, then timing it up. And of course you would do cambelt job inc tensioner and rollers. Myabe look at the water pump, in case it still has a plastic impellor.

Ideally you want a complete running engine out of a "rough car" or even better a well looked after crashed one.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
colonel

The engine usually comes out the bottom.
Easiest transplant is whole front subframe - then work on it out of the car.

Seem like you have bottom end issues (at least) with engine run low on oil. Suggest this engine becomes a "project" once you find a replacment.
Bear in mind any replacement engine which needs "heads off", will cost hundreds to sort. The V6 head gasket kit alone is £165, then timing it up. And of course you would do cambelt job inc tensioner and rollers. Myabe look at the water pump, in case it still has a plastic impellor.

Ideally you want a complete running engine out of a "rough car" or even better a well looked after crashed one.
Cheers fella
my brother has started on it it actually is running now but loud knock so def bottom end although it has had belts and pump not long done would it be woth transplanting them ?

how heavy is the front sub frame ??

·
Registered
741 Posts
colonel

The heads are definitely worth saving, but transplant costs can be high. As already stated, cost of transplant = "cambelt service".
Check other posts or price lists on alfa dealer /independent web sites.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
colonel

The heads are definitely worth saving, but transplant costs can be high. As already stated, cost of transplant = "cambelt service".
Check other posts or price lists on alfa dealer /independent web sites.
Cool
glad to know someone thinks this lovelly car worth saving we have a complete running engine ready to go in so fingers crossed and advice taken its actually quite a good thing to go at so to speak ..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts