Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello Alfa owners..greetings from romania. i have a alfa romeo 166 and i have a problem and if anyone could help it would be perfect. when i am driving the car at 140 km/h and i am in 6th gear and i accelerate, sometimes the water temperature indicator goes in the 130 degrees area and when it does this it cuts my acceleration. i put it back in 5th gear, i accelerate it a bit and the water descends to 90 degrees very fast..in about 1 sec..very very fast...water cannot get so cool in 1 second..as far as i know. a arive home, pop up the hood, and check the fluids, and surprise, the cooling fluind is gone. i tried to do a trick and i put a bottle and in the bottle i put that little hose from the cover of the fluid recipient in that bottle (last time it was a sprite one :)) ) and after a short run some of the cooling fluid from the recipient is in my aftermarket bottle..

if anyone could help it would be perfect. sorry for my bad english, haven't practiced it in a while

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hi, and welcome.

What type is your 166? In case of a V6 your water pump may have a plastic impeller that comes loose from it's metal drive axe.

A couple of months ago I had my belts changed and a check on the water pump. Indeed it had the plastic impeller. It was still in good shape but for my peace of mind I had it changed for a pump with a metal impeller.

See the picture of a pump with a cracked, loose plastic impeller.

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
I think the pressure cap is gone and the fluid is coming out via the tube.
Change the cap and watch the temp and coolant levels.

·
Banned
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the engine is a 2.4 jtd..I think the pressure cap is gone olso because i fitted that tube in a bottle and after a short run in the city half from the cooling fluid was in that bottle that i fitted there..i'll try and change that stupid cap..hope it will work..thank you guys, you worth millions

·
Registered
222 Posts
Worst case your head gasket is gone. Have a look at your oil filling cap. When you see white sludge, oil is mixed with cooling liquid. I have had the same with a previous owned Fiat Croma Did, with the first Diesel engine in a passenger car with direct fuel injection and the predecessor of the 1.9 Fiat and Alfa Diesel engines.

A small amount of pressure of the failing cylinder is leaking into your cooling system with the loss of cooling liquid as a result.

·
Banned
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i changed the cap with a new one but it does the same..i am happy because it's not the head gasket. the flexible tubes that lead to the radiator are fine and they don't get stronger when i squeeze them (i don't know how to explain this, but the mechanic told me this is a good way to check if the head gasket is gone)..but still haven't solved it yet. it drives me crazy. my mechanic told me it could be the thermostat. it doesn't open at full capacity and the water comes with pressure and it has no where to go so it goes back in the expansion jar and then out through the cap. i want to remove now the thermostat to see what changes. sorry folks for my bad english.

Cheers

Bogdan

·
Registered
222 Posts
Good for you that is isn't the head gasket. :thumbs: The Thermostat is a 166 weak point. Last winter I had to change mine because temperature stayed too low. I's an easy and not expensive job. No excuses for your English, it's as bad as mine.

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
Following your discussion with much interest guys.

Bogdan the change of the thermostat on a V6 is dead easy not sure about the jtd. worth trying though.

i have a feeling my daughters bravo has had a head gasket failure since around april this year.initially i though thermostat and changed that but no change. On squeezing the radiator hose you can detect a pulse/ping at certain times...probably on power stoke of cylinder with the failure.A compression check may higlight the failing cylinder.
I have still to get around to it but as you can buy radiator tester kits to check presure they ae quite expensive.....I was going to build a similar kit with an old radiator cap drilled out to take a regular tyre valve and use a tyre pump with a pressure guage to register the pressure and see if the pulse can be measured and detected.
i hate to be the messenger of doom and gloom BUT I suspect head gasket failure ,hope i am wrong and good luck with tracing it.
an internet search for me showed that the 1.2 fiat engine suffers from head gasket failure.

ps yours and klaas's english is brilliant compared to a mere mortal like me from Lanarkshire ,Scotland.

and have you checked the oil filler cap with the engine cold ..ie after leaving overnight.....I THOUGHT ANYTIME BUT THE BRAVO SHOWS CLEAR WITH THE ENGINE HOT.

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
Well guys the bravo is confirmed as the head gasket...How did yours work out?

Pomeo

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
He told me that the new thermostat fixed the engine problem.

I've had quite a lot of communications with this chap as he is now the proud owner of my 18" wheels! (they are on a lorry on its way to Ramona as we speak!)

He also showed me some photos of his ultra cool undercover police 166!
Thats good Stu.Hope he likes the wheels in the flesh.

Err where's Ramona ...I thought that it was an indian restaurant in Sauchiehall St.....No that was the Ramana.

Gonna Pm me a copy of the polis car. miles better than the metros n maestros that I got.........somebody must have got a big backhander for arranging this.....

Pomeo

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
He sent a video of the his car with the lights on. The wheels arrived last night and he is dead excited about them they are getting refurbished today and I guess soon there will be plenty of photos!

He told me that there was a incedent where a crimanl type was shooting at his 166! How do I PM photos?
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Err dunno..never thought of that just thought that you could BUT you cannae:cry:

So its Romania...I read the first line.

How did you get it was it email?
Pomeo

I think I recall the shooting episode.

·
Banned
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hello Stu, Pomeo. as Stu said it was the thermostat for me, some how. she still goes crazy sometimes in 6th gear at high speed. i don't know what to say. i'll do the timing belt and the water pump and then see if there is any change. (hope not the head gasket :()

about my car..she is an Alfa Romeo so, very special, Every Alfa Romeo is special. i often need my flashes and siren in Romania (Bucharest) because the traffic is always jammed. so i have to make my own way.

sorry folks for the dust on the car but as Stu know and said, this pictures were made after a chase. a guy (stupid one) shoot my 166 and a 147 near mine. after this chase i must say there was dust everywhere. stu has exclusiveness on the video. only he can send it to you Pomeo :)

Stu, i don't like the wheels. I LOVE THEM!!!! they will look great!! i'll post some pictures with them mounted. can't wait. as you said, i am dead excited. i am like a little kid on christmas day. hope to hear from you soon.

Chears from a happy man
Bogdan

Attachments

·
Banned
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well..it tooked some time. yesterday i cleaned them. today i went at my garage to work on them. i layed 3 coats of primer. they are now white :)) (primer white). tommorow the paint. and in a few days the lacquer.

they will look amazing. i'll post you some pictures. thank you for the good bubbles. they wouldn't survived the trip if they woren't wraped as good as you wraped them.

my english sucks every day more. geez.. i'm getting worst. hope you understand what i meant.

cheers my friend.

Bogdan

·
Banned
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
back again, same problem. i changed the water radiator. cleaned the air conditioner radiator, cleaned about everything and changed about everything. my water still goes out and her temperature rises to 130 degrees. i noticed something, when the fans go on, my light intensity decreases and if i accelerate in that moment the temperature rises to 130 degrees. any advices? thank you very much

cheers

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
back again, same problem. i changed the water radiator. cleaned the air conditioner radiator, cleaned about everything and changed about everything. my water still goes out and her temperature rises to 130 degrees. i noticed something, when the fans go on, my light intensity decreases and if i accelerate in that moment the temperature rises to 130 degrees. any advices? thank you very much

cheers
About the only thing left is the water pump Bogdan.

The lights will dim a wee bit when the fans cut in .they draw a fair amount of current.

Are you temperature senders ok.

Pomeo

1 - 20 of 29 Posts