Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Great news! I was wondering what had happened. I guess you didn't need to take the gearbox off again, just the sump. Maybe finding the debris in the filter was fortuitous too!

Was it a lot of work to drop the sump?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Great news! I was wondering what had happened. I guess you didn't need to take the gearbox off again, just the sump. Maybe finding the debris in the filter was fortuitous too!

Was it a lot of work to drop the sump?
Thank you! Yes it was! I did it together with all the belts and oil change because a lot of parts must come loose... So yes dont underestimate it!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I must say, the issue with the oil pump filter is interesting - i wonder how many v6 engines out there have a partially-blocked oil pump feed. Gulp.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I recently got my V6 powered project on the road and have a few miles on it now….and yep, crank seals leaking. I replaced the rear main seal some time ago during the build as it was showing signs of leakage before I got it, but the front was dry. Both ends leaking now. :(

Can’t face dealing with it just now, it can leak for a while until I can summon up the enthusiasm needed. If it is fixable in the same way as this by just dropping the sump and rear main cap, that’s not so bad. If I have to pull the box, that’s proper annoying.

Pretty frustrating really as it would have been so much easier to sort when I had the engine on the stand! The front seal was bone dry when I did the cambelt so that one is doubly annoying. That is definitely going to wait until the cambelt is next due.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well I hope Greg got his oil leak sorted once and for all. If the leaks are are minor there's a good case for leaving them until there is a reason to do some other work (cambelt, clutch etc). Always niggles though!

Sounds interesting Chris, your V6 project.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts