Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Especially for Stu....reminds you of a song Eh.

Did the anti roll links on the Mondeo a few years back when it failed its Mot as the link was broken. Expected problems but it was a 10 minute job.

Advisory on Lacey so I think just do it.

Nuts well rusted and once cleaned off it spins in the bush..ie the whole thing turns....No access at all compared to the mondeo.

New discs in boot just awaiting the correct front discs.
View attachment 42229

Top nut AFTER CLEANING
View attachment 42230

Bottom nut AFTER CLEANING
View attachment 42231

The link rod (60628255 and 60628284)
View attachment 42232

spring has seen better days thats the next task.
View attachment 42233

Used bottle jack to raise susp to gain access to top nut.(Top Tip otherwise I cant see how you get it OFF)
View attachment 42234

Trying to source new link rods and will do it all at one time.

Anyone did this themselves before and if so any problems or was it easy.

This is my first time at the rear suspension and in my opinion an Italian designers mother has put too much cheese on his pizza before bedtime:cheese:

Oh I long for the days when life was oh so simple.

Sprayed with WD40 to see if it helps when I get them to slacken.

Pomeo

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Is this "look we've found a use for an academic! He can file things!" :D

I've got to get the 166 and the Puma thourgh there MOTs and then road tax them in the space of 35 days! I'm absultely panicing I could be ... No NO NO... Will be a very poor man this summer! :D

Looks like a good job. Hope your disic brakes show up. Tell me do you ever drive Lacy?

·
Registered
10,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is this "look we've found a use for an academic! He can file things!" :D

Looks like a good job. Hope your disic brakes show up. Tell me do you ever drive Lacy?
1 Well gonnae come round and file these blooming nuts off.:cheese:

2 Mrs P says I must be colour coordinated in case I end up in hospital So if grey pants then Pomeo anything else Lacey coz everything goes with silver.:D
3 Its Lacey not Lacy that's her cousin.:cheese:

which Kylie song?

Spinning Around or I Should be so Lucky
AAH P Just like the bush BUT its I am so unlucky...AARGH will get there in the end tho:thumbs:

:cheese: Especially for "Stu"
Glad that's 1 I got right PG.

The worrying this is I didn't know that I needed New Drop links. Do you think Duncan has been stalking my car! :D
If I was you'd have the worn ones now BUT with all the work Ill just get new ones.

On their way AND NOT from the same guy as the BRAKE DISCS.:eek:

Pomeo

NB STU grey pants on tonight but as Pomeo has a slow puncture which is getting faster it will be LACEY tonight.

Pomeo:D

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I'm just about to replace the rear anti-roll, bar bushes on my 166. The correct method is to buy a new anti-roll bar complete for £135 +VAT - sod that!
I bought some Superflex bushes and will be inventing my own method where the sub-frame is not lowered. I think if you lower the sub-frame the rear alignment will need to be re-done because, as DavidP said, it's hard to get it back in exactly the same place.
Maybe I'll do it this weekend.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Pomeo,man I've never seen so much rust on the underside of a car..
We have cars here that are over 20 years old with no rust..Climate I guess...No rust on my 166 whatsoever...All bolts come off clean and easy...Small suggestion for rustproofing undersides....Spray before
winter with diesel...But you'll need a petrol station or a car wash place that does it..Diesel is a good cleaner and protector..

·
Registered
10,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pomeo,man I've never seen so much rust on the underside of a car..
We have cars here that are over 20 years old with no rust..Climate I guess...No rust on my 166 whatsoever...All bolts come off clean and easy...Small suggestion for rustproofing undersides....Spray before
winter with diesel...But you'll need a petrol station or a car wash place that does it..Diesel is a good cleaner and protector..
Yep Dafi thar's the price we pay here for the miseable climate.

If you think that is bad you should have seen my late father's old Austin Cambridge.What you could see was immaculate but underneath the car was gone.

28 yaers ago I went to Barbados for a holiday and it was like a history lesson. All the old model cars which I had seen as a boy were running around in pristine condition as if they had just left the showroom whereas all the British ones were in the scrapyards many years earlier.

As you say prevention better than cure and there was a large market here for undersealing companies in the 70's when cars fell apart a lot sooner.

So if you are listening God ,how about a more equitable distribution of the worlds weather and eveything else too.(But keep all the 166's for a select few :D :thumbs: )And if it's not too much too ask can you teach Gordon Brown the 3 R's so he can work out the road tax correctly and admit he's made a massive blunder the way he has allowed it to go.

Pomeo

·
Registered
435 Posts
Wow. Thats bad rust alright. Had mine on a lift the other day and its the same age and God knows we have the same weather here in Ireland, (NEVER stops raining) but it doesnt look ANYTHING like yours.

So is this why all Irish mechanics advise that when importing cars from the UK to check underneath for rust due to the excessive use of salt on the roads over there??

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
yup - it's the salt that kills our cars...don't think many other countries use as much as we do and most use some other stuff which although more expensive is less damaging to cars and the environment!

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
hehe - that would help, although what about Scandinavian countries and places like Canada? They don't fling as much salt about their roads and country side.....

·
Registered
10,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Have you been reading the CIA world fact book again? :D
No just watching ice road truckers or whatever it was called:cheese:

And no salt in sight.

I love salt too but not :cheese: the kind they use on the roads.

Still not done the drop links or the springs yet as it is tooo wet.......I think i'll just get Cliff's Summer Holiday dvd out as that was the last time I saw as much rain as this.Even the rock Mrs P bought at Blackpool was dissolved at one end when it was sticking out the poke.

Summer AARGH.Summertime Blues instead of HAPPINESS. (Sing it again DODDY Not our Doddy but Ken Dodd (y)

Pomeo

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo Giulia Super
2,640 Posts
You don't have to run behind them to get sprayed with salty stone chips... I was doing 50 km/h on a rural road when a truck came from the opposite direction doing at least 80 km/h with the gritter still on. I had nowhere to run, it was pretty scary.
Once I calmed down, got home, took some pics, sent to the council, they asked me for more details and pictures about the road and 2 months later I got a cheque which I used to get the bonnet resprayed.

·
Registered
10,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yep Dafi thar's the price we pay here for the miseable climate.

So if you are listening God ,how about a more equitable distribution of the worlds weather and eveything else too.(But keep all the 166's for a select few :D :thumbs: )And if it's not too much too ask can you teach Gordon Brown the 3 R's so he can work out the road tax correctly and admit he's made a massive blunder the way he has allowed it to go.

Pomeo

Dear God

Thank you for listening and granting my requests

BUT

Can you return the weather to the way it was before and i'll suffer the rust as I have not had enough time between showers and monsoons to do Laceys timing belt,rear suspension and rear anti roll tie bars or Pomeo's rear exhaust.If you cannot do that can you please let me know where Evan (the modern day Noah) is building the Ark so that I can save my 166's before the flood really comes if you cannot switch it back.:thumbs:

You sure work in mysterious ways not even the thrashing at Glasgow East by election has jump started Gordon Brown's brain so the RFL, even with the grumblings ,hasn't chnaged as yet..But if the rains keep coming we will need to get those 3 goys form top gear to convert our cars to amphibious vehicle then as we will be on canals we will not need road tax anyway.

Ps Thanks for trying.

Pomeo

As master diver says to cookie in men of honour...Beware of waht you ask for...or something like that.

:D

·
Registered
10,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
:cry:
On their way AND NOT from the same guy as the BRAKE DISCS.:eek:

Pomeo:D
:cry: :cry: :cry:

As it was dry today I was going to give it a bash.

Thanks to Mikes pics I thought that i'd check first...Should have checked sooner ..EVEN pic no 4 shows that the ones I got are wrong even although I said that they were sided.:cheese:
Trust ...never again..Check at the time.

If the nuts weren't spinning around like Klylie's song I would have tackled sooner if the weaher wasn't so poor too.

So job postpones yet again....Wonder when the next dry day is.:rant:

Pomeo

1 - 20 of 23 Posts