Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Loads of snow in Stirling today!

BMWs, mercs and jags sliding all over the place but the 166 was a joy, I even started playing with the throttle for a laugh just to see what happened!

All contolled very easily, suprising for a big car running 225 rubber!

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
That's interesting to hear. Which tyres are you using, out of interest? I had my 166 in Berlin last winter and had no problem in the snow with my usual tyres (you are supposed to fit winter tyres at this time of year here).

However, how much of it is down to suspension & handling and how much down to tyres, I'm not sure. I just remember my father having all sorts of problems with one of his cars until he swapped to a different make of tyre, at which point the problem was immediately resolved!

There's no snow here at all this winter, which is most unusual, but I hear there's a cold snap due in the UK next week.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am running with Uniroyal Rainsports.

First real snow that we have seen since March 2006! Much of it gone now though - back to rain, rain and more rain!!

·
Registered
821 Posts
So, is the 166 front wheel drive or all-wheel?

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Front Wheel Drive only on the 166.

How do you find the 4wd? I tried a Spider 3.2 Q4 during the summer - I found it to be a bit too controlled and found I had more fun in the Spider JTS!

·
Registered
821 Posts
Have to say that I think its excellent. Very good on wet, winding country roads. :)

I'm waiting for the first snows so I can really test it though :p

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Very tasty but I'm not sure about blue with a red interior! Is that a standard colour option?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Tony Rome said:
Very tasty but I'm not sure about blue with a red interior! Is that a standard colour option?
Several people have said that too! I'm not bothered; once I finally got to see a Brera in the Montecarlo Blue (in June with the sun beaming down), it looked absolutely fabulous and I knew immediately that that was the right colour and worth waiting for (bloody Top Gear had borrowed it for the previous week!) :)

However, when I the opened the door and looked in at the black/grey leather, it just didn't continue the exitement; it was too bland, too... (dare I say it...) BMW :eek: It was a surprise to me too, especially as I had had black leather in my 156 for seven years and thought it looked fine. But in that moment, I knew it would have too be the red! No 'umm'ing, no... 'hmmmm'ing, I just knew!

And those people who said they were doubtful... they all now agree it just works really well! It just kinda grows on you! :D

Oh yeah, and the read leather (401) is an option in the brochure, but only for the lighter Montecarlo blue (203), not the Misano blue (586).

Alfa is all about soul, and when it speaks to yours, you either listen... or head for the BMW showroom! :p

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
Bought my T plate JAN 2005 when scotland cut off with snow.I flew 1 way to Bradford and drove home in it.BUT the roads were all clear just snow in the fields..No real snow yet to test.Best car I had in the snow was my old L regd Triumph Stag .Drove from Edinburgh to Motherwell in white out conditions and the stag was so sure footed and hugged the road well.....I think in the snow its the driver which makes the difference.Once while I was driving from Glasgow to Kilmarnock many years agoI came to a hill where all the cars were stuck and sliding all over the place .I saw what was happenning and got a run at the hill and passed then all who had confused looks on their faces as to how did he do it....Pomeo

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
alfarmus, I agree about the BMW-like black leather! My 166 has the silver/grey and I much prefer that to the black. I'm not a fan of German cars in general because they lack soul and tend to have very boring interiors. One of the exceptions was the old Audi TT and I wouldn't say no to one of the new ones, an S8 or a Mercedes CL but then these are not exactly cheap cars :rolleyes:.

Anyway, I like the Montecarlo Blue and understand you wanted something less predictable than black for the interior! As you say, maybe the red grows on you. Out of interest, is the dark blue leather - which used to be an option for the 166 - also available for the Brera?

·
Registered
195 Posts
We got 10 fresh cm of snow this saturday! Drove the Alfa 166 home from work. Luckely the roads wasn't plowed and not salted so it was a lovely snowy road to drive on. The 166 is splendid on snow, with good winter tires! I have good studles tires and they work really well. But it is not as fun to drive as my Alfa 75 2,0 TS =)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Once came down the A9 from Inverness to Aviemore with the sat nav down 125' in a 166 V6; couldn't see the road in a blizzard. Had a lovely blue 166 3.0 lusso (MU 02 DHX). Great car but in snow? The treads blocked. Beautifully predicable 'though. Enjoy your car. Best Alfa I've had by a mile.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I'm picking up a set of winter tyres tomorrow on a set of Mondeo rims which at least in theory fit.I smashed up a Saab in bad winter condition years ago so I don't want to risk another repeat of that I'll quite happily slide rear drives all over the place but I always struggle with fronts in the snow so we'll see how this one does

·
Registered
265 Posts
Front wheel drive you can use the engine at the same time as the handbrake! You can at least point in a different direction before you crash!

I know whom to thank in 10 years time if I get a Brera with a mad interior! I worry about taking my worthless, but great 164 12v out on the ice, but if you lot are prepared to do it in style, then I have no choice but to give it a go.

Bring on the snow!

I once followed a 4wd sierra in a 1 litre old micra on a snow covered road. Just before it was closed, in Derbyshire. Every straight they left me behind, every bend I caught them up! It must have been quite embarassing for them. Fun though!

·
Registered
667 Posts
It all depends on what your used to I can take a rear wheel drive round a round about & off at which ever junction I feel like.All with out even touching the steering wheel, except for the initial turn in

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a hell of a problem in the snow with mine, nearly ran into a van. When I braked not only did the abs not work but cos its an auto the wheels kept driving. I had to put it in sport so I could leave it in a low gear.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I take it you have a Sportronic Sabrezx, your signature says "Tiptronic" - Is that not a BMW thing?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts