Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would it be really naughty of me to mention that I've just added some silicone hoses and a hose joiner to the For Sale/Wanted section stickied at the top of the forum? :D

Just thought I'd mention it as I figured some people might be completely oblivious to the existence of the For Sale/Wanted topic, let alone actively checking it! :lol:

(P.S. I'm selling, not wanting. So if you happen to be wanting, rather than selling, please head to the topic up there /\)

·
Administrator
Alfa 159 1.9 JTDm Sportwagon
5,863 Posts
Thanks for the reminder:)

·
Registered
604 Posts
I might be interested in a week or 2 if you still have it then - bit skint at the moment after buying another 166 for spares, which are currently being listed in fleabay, ICS, DSP, Speakers etc hint hintbut you seem to be right about people not actively reading the for sale thread another hint hint :D

·
Registered
10,982 Posts
I don't know what it is butt wie awe this interest I must need one.:cheese:

Pomeo

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you got any photos? Mrs JonC want's to know what I intend spending her money on :rolleyes:
Are you asking me, Jon?

I can get photos. It's just 2 black hoses in 76mm ID, one is a 90 degree bend and the other a 45 degree bend. And an alloy beaded hose joiner.

It would still need modifying to incorporate the breathers, but you can get the necessary fitting cheaply on eBay.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Are you asking me, Jon?

I can get photos. It's just 2 black hoses in 76mm ID, one is a 90 degree bend and the other a 45 degree bend. And an alloy beaded hose joiner.

It would still need modifying to incorporate the breathers, but you can get the necessary fitting cheaply on eBay.
Yes please, need to figure out how to fit and modify.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Will get photos tonight.

For fitment, the way I'd planned it out was to have the 90 degree bend coming from the TB, with the extra fittings added to connect the standard breathers to the hose (I forget what these are called, but once you know, they can be found cheaply on eBay). Then the hose joiner. Then the 45 degree bend pointing forwards towards the front of the car and downwards. Then the MAF on the end of that. Then a universal cone filter attached to the MAF.

Using the 45 degree bend is slightly different to how other's have done it, as most people tend to go with a 90 degree bend from the TB, then a straight section, then a 90 degree bend downwards to the filter in the stock position. But doing it this way meant I only need 2 hoses and a joiner, instead of 2 hoses plus a straight section, which would have been more expensive.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You guys and your home-made kits. Haven't seen a decent looking one yet besides the one I made. Mine looks loads better and it cost about 50 pound in your mickey mouse pound sterling. Maybe I should start selling them.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bit arrogant! :tut:

With all due respect, yours doesn't look loads better. A small bit of curved pipe (chrome look plastic, wasn't it?) joined to half of the OE rubber inlet with the filter on the end? Doesn't look particularly bad, but it's hardly superior to any of the other DIY ones I've seen on the forum.

I chose not to opt for any pipework, be it alloy, chrome, or chrome effect plastic, for the same reason I chose black silicone instead of red/blue. Because I didn't want it to look vulgar. Most people also choose to replace the whole lot back to the TB (as was my plan) because the OE tube splits with age.

Horses for courses and all that. You're obviously pleased with your efforts, so fair play to you, but don't start taking the ****.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I'm not keen on the "in your face" garish look, at the moment I've simply replaced the air filter box with the performance filter and modified the air inlet pipe from the wheel arch to take air from the front grille, you have to look VERY closely to see any modification, MOT guy didn't even notice until the car was up on ramps :cool:

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Been looking at this site-

Fuel economy improvement with GSR induction kit

More interested in the fuel saving than anything else, I'm currently doing about 170 miles a day in mine. If the claims are true it should pay for itself in no time.
I'm very sceptical about that. Their comparisons aren't particularly scientific, and a 13% difference in economy sounds good, but in reality, with an inefficient car like this such a fluctuation isn't any great surprise and the actual MPG variance isn't huge.

Little things like whether the first test was done with a new OE filter make a difference. What about general servicing of the car? Condition and pressure of tyres? Climatic conditions and traffic. It's a nice notion to have done the two tests and "seen" an improvement but there's a reason why economy figures are done under controlled conditions.

Nah, I don't buy it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sounds interesting. I'm thinking of fitting either a sports filter such as K&N or an induction kit such as this one. Keep us updated on ease of fitting and results l'd been really interested in how it goes. Incidently much was the kit?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts