Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,
Central locking playing up. On very rare occasions over past year (maybe 3 or 4) after "pliping" to lock and alarm the central locking has gone into a spasm ie lock/unlock 5 or 6 times continous, then stops, unlocked. The alarm is set but does a delayed peep to say it has an error somewhere. Then problem goes after a day.

Well today it did it again, then it started doing the lock/unlock thing while I was driving several times. When I tried to lock with key in door it did same spasm. Now the central locking won't work with key in door even. Alarm still OK.
Also noticed that orange "bulb light has comes on for 10 secs at engine start, although i've checked all bulbs and OK.
I've checked fuse and all connections to relay for central locking.
Is there a seperate central locking control box apart from the relay?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Try plipping whilst watching all the door pins - 1 will be staying up.

If you use the key in that lock, the locking will work all around, then plip to alarm. To unlock, use the key, then plip to disable alarm.

This happened to mine last year - needed new passenger side lock as the electric bits inside had failed.

Some people have been lucky enough to take the lock out, clean it up and put it back & it works (IIRC)

Bulb light is usually reliable - mine comes on occasionally and I find a loose bulb - usually a sidelight in headlight - wiggle it & all OK.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK so it worked OK twice today after 24 hours of no use, but now doesn't.
If I manually lock all doors then set the alarm, all is stable. When i then turn off alarm, the locks undo - then lock/unlock again 5-7 times over.
The central locking won't work by using the key in door, driver OR passenger.
I'm stumped.
The alarm works - tested door (all) opening and U/S sensors inside.
The doorlock motors all work.
The plipper works to set the alarm, but doesn't lock doors.
So my guess is that the bit of the alarm and the keylocks that communicates with door motors doesn't work. This must be somewhere central since the all doors are affected.
I've taken the green box off next to fuse panal under sterring wheel, lid off and checked internals. Nothing appears burnt out.
Next thing is the smaller control box other isde of wheel and the main fuse relay box by ABS in engine bay.

Dicky earth cable?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
when the locks cycle, are all 4 pins moving fully up and down?

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
i guess one of the sensors in the door locks is on the bum and telling the system either a door is open or it hasn't locked....

·
Registered
363 Posts
Drivers door central locking motor as its the one that does all the work, had same prob wi 164 and a 2nd hand motor from westune did the trick

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've the same or similar problem. If I lock the passangers door with the key then use the alarm then everything is fine.

I am told by Alfaman that it is either something sticky or a dud actuator in the passengers side door so that when the car goes to lock or unlock it thinks that there is someone tying th lock or unlock the passangers door and it gets confused.

Will be getting mine fixed in about 3 weeks and I will report back then.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Interesting. The locks have been OK for past 2 days - after I gave front passenger door a whacking good slam shut in sheer frustration! Must have jiggled whatever was sticking?
Maybe a good blast with the WD40 into locks and door mechs may help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Must admit that I'm having the same problem. My problem door happens to be the drivers side rear passenger door. Would it be as simple as removing the door panel and spraying the WD40?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts