Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo Giulietta QC Launch Edition
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My 166 has the standard cassette deck, how difficult is it to add the CD caddy? I mean, can I just by the cd changer and put it in? Or is there some software things need changing? Also, I've seen cd caddies on eBay that allow sdcard playback. Are they a viable alternative?

Thanks,

Tony

·
Registered
129 Posts
Unless you already have the cabling it will be a pain - there's a long cable from the head unit to the CD player in the boot. Mine wasn't factory fitted with a CD player, so the cable isn't there.

I added bluetooth to mine for £3 and an evening to extract, disassemble, solder in the module, reassemble and refit.

The SD card units that plug in the back do have the advantage of "looking like" a CD multi changer to the head unit , so you can choose tracks, CDs etc through it. £90 though - I prefer the phone though (album names, track names, mutes on phone etc)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Unless you already have the cabling it will be a pain - there's a long cable from the head unit to the CD player in the boot. Mine wasn't factory fitted with a CD player, so the cable isn't there.

I added bluetooth to mine for £3 and an evening to extract, disassemble, solder in the module, reassemble and refit.

The SD card units that plug in the back do have the advantage of "looking like" a CD multi changer to the head unit , so you can choose tracks, CDs etc through it. £90 though - I prefer the phone though (album names, track names, mutes on phone etc)
Could you explain the bluetooth functionality further?
Really a weak point of the ICS that there's no USB or Bluetooth as standard.

·
Registered
930 Posts
was USB & Bluetooth even in existence back when the audio components where being considered for the 166?

My 1st 166 had the cable but no disc interchanger so once I got that it was simply a case of connecting it.

In my current 166 I have disconnected the CD player and added a long RCA audio to 3.5mm jack cable so I can play the music from the phone / mp3 player etc. The RCA connection plugged straight into the end of the CD cable.

To run CD cable you would need to take out the ICS unit for a start and then run the cable the length of the car through to the boot. Certainly not difficult but quite a lot of screws / bits to undo. It's worth having a copy of the workshop manual /CD for reference.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
They probably froze the design of the ICS about the same time that Erricsson invented Bluetooth. 1994 according the Wikipedia. For its time, it was really up there but it's almost 20 year old tech now. A Loudlink is a good option I think, fits perfectly with the system. Personally, I couldn't be doing with fumbling with a phone but I do appreciate I am of a more, err, senior demographic... (Old fart).

·
Registered
497 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
I plugged in this xcarlink system in my 166
Alfa Romeo 166 ICS USB / SD / AUX Interface Xcarlink

and connected my iphone 5s with their iphone/ipod cable
iPod / iPhone docking cable for Xcarlink V8 New / V9 interfaces

Now I can change songs playing from the phone by using controls on steering wheel (controls on ICS work as well). It works with all iphone/ipod models, you just need a genuine 30-pin to lightning cable, not the cheap stuff from ebay
Apple 30-pin to USB Cable - Apple (UK)

Now I just need to install DSP... the standard speakers are just not enough :)

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I plugged in this xcarlink system in my 166
Alfa Romeo 166 ICS USB / SD / AUX Interface Xcarlink

and connected my iphone 5s with their iphone/ipod cable
iPod / iPhone docking cable for Xcarlink V8 New / V9 interfaces

Now I can change songs playing from the phone by using controls on steering wheel (controls on ICS work as well). It works with all iphone/ipod models, you just need a genuine 30-pin to lightning cable, not the cheap stuff from ebay
Apple 30-pin to USB Cable - Apple (UK)

Now I just need to install DSP... the standard speakers are just not enough :)

...and that looks even better than a Loudlink. Good find.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Could you explain the bluetooth functionality further?
Really a weak point of the ICS that there's no USB or Bluetooth as standard.
Something like ebay item 171906063913

based on http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-164-andamp-166/114956-aux-line-in-on-ics-of-166-a.html

break it open, cut one plug off the cable supplied and solder the wire to the tape deck input on the Audio Amp IC

http://www.oelprinz-online.de/images/w126forum/ics2.jpg

connect 0V and 5V to the module - 5V is in the back right left corner off a 7805 regulator, 0V anywhere

Fire up the ICS and select tape - you can either physically mod the tape deck as per the article, or use an empty cassette shell to fool the ICS.
I did think about builing something to mimic the tape deck, but it's too much hassle!

Your phone will see the bluetooth module as HC-01 or similar, pair and play like any other bluetooth audio device

·
Registered
761 Posts
Be careful with Yatour/Xcarlink units. A few years ago people were buying them for 166s and they didn't work properly. Hit and miss on compatability. Some of them advertised them for 166s with a hard to find disclaimer that pretty much said they didn't work on the 166. The Loudlink is the only one to my knowledge that is proven to work (and was basically the originator).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts