Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
Hey,

got offered this as a trade/swap for mine the other day, wondering if anyone knows it or knows anything about it?

1999 Alfa Romeo 166 For Sale For Sale in Mayo. Buy 166

12 year old with 40k on the clock, seems kinda low maybe? any info would be usefull.
Timing belt is the biggie on these I believe. Mileage might be okay but the belts perish over time so it could be a timebomb...
Gerry in TI told me could cost €1500 if done right (you could call him to confirm).
Suspension issues would be another I would imagine but the manual is a big plus as the auto didn't work as well as with the 3.0 I've heard.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
agree, I wouldn't drive it a meter without getting the belt replaced ASAP. Make sure you also change the waterpump at the same time, and get the one with the metal impeller.
on top of the suspension and belt you have to add the price of a radiator, a heater matrix, and a battery. I'd still buy it though, just for the sound of that V6...
Make sure you have to code for the ICS, check if it has SatNav in the boot and also check for the DSP.
If there is a SatNav it will be a G2, so it cannot be updated to post 2001 disks (G2 is a 8bit, G3 is a 16 bit system), and being a 99 model the seats won't have memory.

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
agree, I wouldn't drive it a meter without getting the belt replaced ASAP. Make sure you also change the waterpump at the same time, and get the one with the metal impeller.
on top of the suspension and belt you have to add the price of a radiator, a heater matrix, and a battery. I'd still buy it though, just for the sound of that V6...
Make sure you have to code for the ICS, check if it has SatNav in the boot and also check for the DSP.
If there is a SatNav it will be a G2, so it cannot be updated to post 2001 disks (G2 is a 8bit, G3 is a 16 bit system), and being a 99 model the seats won't have memory.
But it has a V6...:p

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info.

im more interested to know if anyone knows the car, or the history behind it maybe? this guy s says he buys and sells cars from time to time. says the belt was changed by previous owner at 31k as well as a full service, as well as brake pads and discs. also said that he has some suspension work done to pass the nct.

whats the bhp on these thigns ... any ideas ? and i see Tax is nice and expensive.

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
thanks for the info.

im more interested to know if anyone knows the car, or the history behind it maybe? this guy s says he buys and sells cars from time to time. says the belt was changed by previous owner at 31k as well as a full service, as well as brake pads and discs. also said that he has some suspension work done to pass the nct.

whats the bhp on these thigns ... any ideas ? and i see Tax is nice and expensive.
190bhp AFAIK.

Tax is about a grand I think?

Re suspension: what will pass the NCT might still not really sort it.

L

·
0 Posts
for €1500 anyone should have it in such condition it'd be almost guaranteed to pass the NCT, suspension wishbones & all.....

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the info, im actualy looking at a different one this weekend, needs some work but should be a good buy if i take it.
one thing i want to know, do the v6 cars have variators?
and how many plugs are in the v6? are the a tspark or is that only the 16 valve cars?

also anything else i should look out for that hasnt been mentioned on a 99 166 v6 2.5 ?

D

·
0 Posts
Theres a V6 on octane for 400 notes needs a bitta tidying but it's low miles and small money.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Theres a V6 on octane for 400 notes needs a bitta tidying but it's low miles and small money.
thats the one im going to see :)

was talking to the guy and it seems like it could be a good buy, ill know more when i get out there. either Friday or Saturday afternoon, but i will have cash in hand. so i reckon if its decent enough, get it and sit it on blocks for a while while i get it all running right and get what i want done to it done.

i signed up to that site the other day, havent posted anything yet though. same name as here, ... and most other places :)

L

·
0 Posts
be prepared to spend another €600 on timing belt, tensioner & idlers, metal water pump, new thermostat, aux belt, tensioner & idler, 6 spark plugs, oil filter & air filter.

THEN find some-one capable of doing all this work at reasonable rates :)

your 'cheap' 166 will suddenly turn into a money pit .....

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
be prepared to spend another €600 on timing belt, tensioner & idlers, metal water pump, new thermostat, aux belt, tensioner & idler, 6 spark plugs, oil filter & air filter.

i have a guy to do it for free.
and as long as it all comes in under market price then im winning, did that with my old 146 and with my punto before that.
if your willing to put the time in on a car that is cheap then the overall cost is worth the effort.

anyway the timing belt may have been done recently, the guy selling is the guy who really owns it... im not planning to drive right off the back anyhow.

D

·
0 Posts
If it's been standing for a year which the car has been it def would be wise to throw another belt on it. And just for piece of mind. The car need tidying to be fair but it's a nice bus and needs better wheels but it has poetinal.

·
Registered
337 Posts

Have to agree with this, bought my 00 gtv for less than a grand, knowing it needed at least twice that to be really sound with a good body

Have a fantastic mechanic with a good relationship with a former alfa dealer, so that sorts one hurdle.

Plus he has no problem being decent to women (not many of us here) and I respect him a lot, if it's bad news he's straight out with it etc

I've learned shedloads through owning alfas, so much that I reference it in my work (I'm an IT trainer) and always get laughs :)

Anyway I have to say as someone who learned to drive in a 20 year old passat and has owned a series of low worth cars since, if you love the car buy it, and be prepared to spend on it, if not then leave it. I saw a spyder in 1997 in Christchurch and lusted after that car for years, I now have it's hard top equivalent, and am thrilled

Such are alfas :)

L

·
0 Posts
Never said you were :) I'm just highlighting the fact its now x2 the original asking price without any extra work been done to it.

D

·
0 Posts
Ohh ya your dead right man :D I must get ya have a look at that zorst on the 156 :D

1 - 20 of 82 Posts