Alfa Romeo Forum banner

166 Buying Advice

2K views 38 replies 16 participants last post by  Pomeo 
#1 ·
I've my eye on a 1998 2.5 manual that's turned up at a local dealer. I had a look at it today; body is straight but for a dent in the rear offside corner, interior is good, engine sounds sweet, it looks to have been looked after. It's just had a clutch and is listed with 12 months MOT. There are a few issues:
  • The hifi/climate/nav control system is asking for a code and without it I can't access audio functions (and what else?)
  • I can't tell if the aircon is working. Not having the display isn't helping and it was a bit nippy when I looked at it this morning, but I couldn't hear the compressor click in or notice a drop/increase in revs as I pressed the economy button.
  • Central locking has gone daft. I understand this is not uncommon and any advice on fixing would be welcome - I'm an Alfa/Lancia/Fiat veteran and have little fear of their electrics as long as I have some guidance.
  • Drivers window doesn't open, but the switch is broken so I assume it is that and easy enough to replace.
  • There are two red keys, one with actuator for mad central locking, one plain.
  • Dealer can't find the service history although he swears he has it. I am inclined to believe him in this (if not in much else he told me today) and will call him later after he has searched. I assume if there is a record of the code for the hifi system this is with the service book.
  • It's supposed to have a CD player, but there is only a cassette slot on the dash and no changer in the boot. Is there a concealed changer or single disk slot behind a panel or something?
    It's done 96,000 miles so I assume it's on its second cam belt. I understand these should be changed at five years regardless of mileage, so am reliant on finding the service book to know whether a change is due now or not.

So; should I be worried about any of the above? I'm not looking to pay much for the car and accept that, generally, one get what one pays for.

Thanks,

Mark

See less See more
#34 ·
I spotted this on Pistonheads:

Alfa Romeo : Alfa Romeo 166 2.5 V6

it's overdue a belt change and seller is willing to negotiate a price reflecting this. Car is in West Midlands. Were I to buy it, does anyone know of somewhere good to get the belt done out there? There's a company advertising in Auto Italia (don't remember name) in Pershore who do them for £391, which seems pretty good. Otherwise I risk the drive back to Essex and get it done locally, in which case same question - anyone good over here for belts?

Is there any reason to shun a 5-speed model in favour of the six speed? I assume the six speed is something like an 'overdrive' with the first five similar to the five speed and a long-legged sixth for cruising. If it's just a closer ratio box, I don't think I'd bother. In normal driving, I almost never used second or fourth in the V6s I've had.

#35 ·
Hi Mark,

that one looks pretty good, depending how much he'll knock off for the belt. how overdue are we talking? has it had one at all??

I think £391 sounds a pretty good price, does it include the water pump being changed too (if not it is worth factoring this in too)

Good luck! it does look pretty nice!

Not sure about the 6 Vs 5 - i didn't think there was a 5 speed 2.5!

#36 ·
Thanks PF; I'll check about that water pump. Car has done 73,000 miles, 5,000 of which by current owner who hasn't had them done. He could see no mention of their being done in the service book when I asked.

Re the 'box, as I understand it, pre 2000 were five speed. this 2000 car must be one of the last fives.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.