I've my eye on a 1998 2.5 manual that's turned up at a local dealer. I had a look at it today; body is straight but for a dent in the rear offside corner, interior is good, engine sounds sweet, it looks to have been looked after. It's just had a clutch and is listed with 12 months MOT. There are a few issues:
- The hifi/climate/nav control system is asking for a code and without it I can't access audio functions (and what else?)
- I can't tell if the aircon is working. Not having the display isn't helping and it was a bit nippy when I looked at it this morning, but I couldn't hear the compressor click in or notice a drop/increase in revs as I pressed the economy button.
- Central locking has gone daft. I understand this is not uncommon and any advice on fixing would be welcome - I'm an Alfa/Lancia/Fiat veteran and have little fear of their electrics as long as I have some guidance.
- Drivers window doesn't open, but the switch is broken so I assume it is that and easy enough to replace.
- There are two red keys, one with actuator for mad central locking, one plain.
- Dealer can't find the service history although he swears he has it. I am inclined to believe him in this (if not in much else he told me today) and will call him later after he has searched. I assume if there is a record of the code for the hifi system this is with the service book.
- It's supposed to have a CD player, but there is only a cassette slot on the dash and no changer in the boot. Is there a concealed changer or single disk slot behind a panel or something?
It's done 96,000 miles so I assume it's on its second cam belt. I understand these should be changed at five years regardless of mileage, so am reliant on finding the service book to know whether a change is due now or not.