Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was watching the Top Gear wie big JC (stu the moose look a like) when the specs came off.

I had spotted it before but dissied it.

It's the bit where he opens the bunnet and states along the lines "They have even chromed the pipes on the 3.2 engine"

Well I have news fur ewe pal.....They always did as far as I ken....Pomeo (1999) lacey(2000) Lucy (2001) and of course the Tia (2004)

Pomeo

and as far as I know the 164 V6's ur the same.

So what else is wrong in this ....13k after 1 year...Hmmmmm.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
"They've actually chromed the inlet pipes on the 3.2 litre V6 engine... Wonderful". ;)

Jeremy would have perhaps forgotten http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9PAfx7g_ec&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Yes, the 1988 164 introduced the chromed pipes, but when you're making a video, it's a matter of fitting in a few useful bits of information (up to that point, we didn't know it had a 3.2L V6) in amongst the entertainment - and what he says is correct anyway: they did chrome the pipes.

"There are no, sort of, controls all over the steering wheel" is a bit more questionable, as a number of facelift 166s do come with those :lol:

It really does seem like a catch-22. If no one bought one new due to the depreciation being too high, then the shortage of second-hand examples would make the price go up. It's supply and demand. I think the reality is that there's no demand!

It was nice, though, that for a change, Jeremy liked a car that wasn't the fastest and wasn't a thriller in the corners either. :)

The suspension on that example looked a bit saggy at the back end while it was driving, but OK when stationary - odd.

-Alex

·
Registered
10,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:wow: In 1988 JC did look like (IMHO) Stu the hoose.:)
Congrats to Stu the Flat on his latest acquistion and not the fact he could make a fortune as JC look a like.

BUTT Alex.

It aint what ewe say its the way that ewe say it.

BY IMPLICATION of what he is saying and the emphasis he implies that they never chromed the pipes before the 3.2 .:cheese:

BUTT engrish was never wan oh mah strong points:cheese:

Pomeo

BUTT How young were those guys then...The AA bloke and Eye um sure I saw Martin on University Challenge.;):D

·
Registered
432 Posts
BY IMPLICATION of what he is saying and the emphasis he implies that they never chromed the pipes before the 3.2 .
Well, they don't chrome the pipes on the 4 cylinders nor the diesels. He probably didn't know about the 3.0, which IIRC was the only other V6 engine available for that model year - and thus also had chromed pipes.

·
Registered
10,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
He also failed tay mention the different alternator and associated wiring and different drip tray....What else is lying in wait.:cheese:

Athough wie the car up on bricks I reckon they were looking fur the alternator and then decided twas easier jist tay take the wheels..
Pomeo

·
Registered
641 Posts
He also failed tay mention the different alternator and associated wiring and different drip tray....What else is lying in wait.:cheese:

Athough wie the car up on bricks I reckon they were looking fur the alternator and then decided twas easier jist tay take the wheels..
Pomeo

I like that.

I do watch the video every now and then AND I have 2 copies of the book that has the article in.

Just makes me sad now...

·
Registered
10,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If there is one thing you can consistently rely on JC to do, it is to be inconsistent.
So keithy when he actually says "God I luv this motor" :D...... He actually means He hates it?:cry::cheese:

Pomeo

·
Registered
38,046 Posts
Nah, what he does is that review 'buy one, it's cheaper than a house!' Then 24 months later they say 'saw this 3.2 v6 for £2.50, don't buy it though, it'll eat all your money and roger your dog!'

:lol:

·
Registered
10,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nah, what he does is that review 'buy one, it's cheaper than a house!' Then 24 months later they say 'saw this 3.2 v6 for £2.50, don't buy it though, it'll eat all your money and roger your dog!'
:lol:
I wondered where the dog went.:cry: She was the only won who liked my 166's :D BUTT she liked ony car :cry: £2.50 ...£2.50 where was I. I kent I shouldn't have tried tay outbid Velocettes on that one I goat the second chance at and snapped it up.
Still I have already goat all my money back in pleasure. Other than that flipping alternator. now 1 day later a distant memory ..Alfies bah humbug :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts