Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody enlighten me whether the 4-pot Brembos from a 166 V6 will fit onto my 156 V6 2.5??

I already have 166 wheels which should hopefully clear the bigger calipers. I appreciate I will need 166 discs too which are 310mm

Thanks in advance :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Well, they will, if you make brackets for them.
There is a fellow on here that makes them (I think ?)

You will need new discs as well, and make sure your wheels clear the extra sized calipers.

·
Registered
30,033 Posts
166 wheels are the wrong PCD for a 156.
156 are 5x98mm
166 are 5x108mm

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok - so that's a "No" then basically! I was hoping to find a replacement 4-pot caliper that will just bolt on. I think I'm just dreaming unfortunately :banghead:
I was aware of Sotos_GTA (Greece) making adapter plates but didn't really want to go down that route as when you add it all up, (Brackets, calipers, refurb for calipers, new GTA discs, new pads, fitting....) it's getting close to a Grand for new stoppers....
I've already got DS2500's - maybe I'll just get new discs and change the fluid and spend the rest of the cash on getting that pesky "Alfa Gland" cut out of my brain!! :weeping:

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
166 wheels are the wrong PCD for a 156.
156 are 5x98mm
166 are 5x108mm
Yes I know thanks David - these wheels are aftermarket ones, in the correct 5x98 size. Quite rare from what I gather?

·
Registered
30,033 Posts
Ok - so that's a "No" then basically! I was hoping to find a replacement 4-pot caliper that will just bolt on. I think I'm just dreaming unfortunately :banghead:
MiTo/Punto Brembos bolt straight on. Use with std GTV V6/GTA 305x28 discs.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah great, thanks David - the most my car is ever likely to have is 220bhp, so 330mm discs would look great but be unnecessary extra weight!
Appreciate the tip. I assume the standard 156 master cylinder would be ok for this swap then?
Cheers

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Its worth noting that the 166 brembos suffer very badly from corrosion around the lower mounting points. When I was finding some to fit to my 159 which is a straight fit I sent 2 sets back as at least 1 side was very badly corroded before I found a set that was sound. Aluminium corrosion is far more structurely compromising than steel as you cant see how far in it has traveled.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi David, I've found some used Mito 4-pot Brembos as per your recent advice but is my standard master cylinder going to be up to the job do you think? I'd heard that some retro fitted big brakes dont work that well because the master cylinder is designed for fewer piston calipers?

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Hi David, I've found some used Mito 4-pot Brembos as per your recent advice but is my standard master cylinder going to be up to the job do you think? I'd heard that some retro fitted big brakes dont work that well because the master cylinder is designed for fewer piston calipers?
Single piston to 4 piston conversions has been done SO MANY TIMES - advice to that regard would have been forthcoming if it was an issue. (I have 2 cars with conversions). The diameter of the single piston is a lot bigger than the pistons of the 4 pot caliper - it balances out.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Single piston to 4 piston conversions has been done SO MANY TIMES - advice to that regard would have been forthcoming if it was an issue. (I have 2 cars with conversions). The diameter of the single piston is a lot bigger than the pistons of the 4 pot caliper - it balances out.
Cheers Gertie :thumbu p:

·
Vendor
45,463 Posts
Its fine, I have them on my 156 V6.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its fine, I have them on my 156 V6.
Hiya Pud, thanks for the message. The calipers I have found for sale don't have mounting brackets with them :headache:
Do you have any suggestions where I might get some, or a complete used set of calipers / brackets for sale?
Cheers

·
Vendor
45,463 Posts
Hiya Pud, thanks for the message. The calipers I have found for sale don't have mounting brackets with them :headache:
Do you have any suggestions where I might get some, or a complete used set of calipers / brackets for sale?
Cheers
The calipers & mounting brackets/bolts are sold as one unit by Alfa, so they're not really much good.

I do have a set of brand new calipers together with mounting brackets, send me a PM if you're interested. I can also help out with discs/pads if required.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The calipers & mountning brackets/bolts are sold as one unit by Alfa, so they're not really much good.

I do have a set of brand new calipers together with mounting brackets, send me a PM if you're interested. I can also help out with discs/pads if required.
PM sent :thumbu p:

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi David, sorry to be a pest but I'm trying to work out what brake lines to order for my Brembos, as other members have commented on the standard lines not being long enough to fit the Mito calipers and the best solution being to order longer custom ones. What did you do for yours?
I've got fittings specs for custom lines from Gertie in South Africa but still dont know what length they need to be. Any suggestions gratefully received?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts