Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
155, 166 & MiTo
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Does anyone know where I might be able to get the electrical connector that goes into the bulb rail for the rear boot lid light cluster? Its a 4 spade (female) type. I'm also looking for the male counterpart.

I'm considering some LED's in place of the filament bulbs and if the ones I'm going to try aren't canbus friendly (i.e. they result in bulb out warnings on the dash), then I'll have to install resistors. I don't want to splice the loom so if I have to then I'd rather buld a 'plug in' adaptor that includes the resitors (and then find somewhere to mount them in the boot lid).

I could just string some spade connectors together, but I'd rather have the block to to ensure I don't mixup any wires.

Cheers

Variator

For anyone who's interested, the LED's I'm thinking of are
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1156-382-CREE-Q5-7W-12V-24V-HIGH-POWER-LED-REVERSING-BULB-/120845224415?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c22efc9df

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
I've got a donor 166 outside. I get the idea of the connector, but where would the other end be at..? Would it just be spliced into the loom?

I'll gladly cut the spade connector off for you, if you want it...:thumbs:

·
Registered
155, 166 & MiTo
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the offer PDF, I may take you up on it. I'll let you know.

I'm thinking that rather than splice into the loom, if I can get matching versions of both a male and female connector for the existing ones, I can make an adaptor section for the loom that includes the resistors. So then it's just a smiple matter of disconnecting the current connector from the cluster, connect it to the adaptor section and connect the section to the cluster.

Simples.

The LED's might work without the need for the additional resistors, we'll wait and see. The other option, aside from splicing, is to just use standard spade connectors.

V.

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
I believe the 166 does have CANBUS and you'll get an error with the LED's.
There's a few threads on here about it.

Is it just the inner lights you're doing? Why not have a spare set? With ordinary bulbs in for use when the dreaded NCT comes around?

I have a spare set BTW...:thumbs::mygrin1:

·
Registered
155, 166 & MiTo
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've tested some "canbus friendly" LED's on the front, H6W's for the parking/side lights and they didn't trigger a bulb out warning, so their internal resistance was sufficient to mimic a filament.

I'm hoping that the LED's I'm now going to test on the back, which also claim to be Error Free, will perform just as successfully. If not, then it's either work a way to incorporate the resistors into the wiring or live with the bulb out warning light (NCT's excluded).

We'll see. Either way, next task on the To Do list is to install the newly ordered HID's for the front, both dipped (H7's) into the projectors and full beam HB3's into the reflectors. They're both 5000K colour so nothing extreme, hence the LED test on the front to get a matching sidelight 'bulb'. I've also ordered some 5000K 70W halogens for the front fogs (althogh they might not be 100% street legal), but the higher output should compensate for the colouring filter on the bulb.

Actually, first task will be to get the remaining bits of glass out of the car. The rear window shattered last night all on its own. The nice people from my insurance company have already sent someone round and it has already been replaced, but there are still some bits to be cleaned up.

V.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts