Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well wie PDF gone on aboot auld batteries eye'd like tay share my recent experience.

Got a new battery last year for Lacey and decided to keep her fully charged awe ra time as she is not doing much mileage this weather.In fact in ony kind of weather.

Have had to fully recharge her several times as she was deader than the proverbial dodo.

As Chis Rea sung the Road tae Hell is paved wie good intention.Jist like Lacey's battery.

Well the NSFdoor started to act up and I thought it was jist the week;) battery, well it hud been sitting in her furra week:lol:,So I disabled the alarm which was still working but key not central locking oan ra button.
Confused yet...It get better.

Starts her up ....Zilch,kept the ign swith right roon then berrroom..aboot 3 revs every hour then nothing ..then same again..berroom 2 revs every hour..then nothing...kept the switch there and all of a sudden it was like the auld days wie sumbody wie a strating handle....then she springs tay life.Runs well and always starts nae bother until left furra day the the zilcho again.....So then I detected the NSF lock was the problem BUT it operated electrically wie the key in the lock.Thne it didnae:cry:

Then the central locking didnae work at all wie the key.BUT the button on the key switched the alarm on and off.
So I activated the alarm and openned the OSR door..set off alarm.....rest the alarm and did the same wie the NSR door..alarm never activated...AAARGH:cry::confused:

So them :confused:I switched the alarm off and lo and behold ....all the locks worked fine.

It's amazing the intricacies of these motors but I reckon it got the fear when I decided I was going to strip oot the NSF door to fix the problem so she fixed hersell.
Pure dead magic..jist like ra battery.

I reckon it has a lazy cell.However I cannae go on like this and may have to get a noo battery.

Which one shood eye get.:p:cheese:

Defo 100 Ah as these 96Ah are no worth a rubber duck.

Pomeo

I cannae bare these expensive repairs .They are dayin mah nut in.;):D

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Most motor factors or auto-electricians will drop a "load tester" across your battery for nothing. It should find a duff cell pretty easily. I know alarms draw a small amount of power continuously. Fortunately, alarms weren't invented when my car was built...!

(Still struggling with my aircon, mind)!

·
Registered
10,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Most motor factors or auto-electricians will drop a "load tester" across your battery for nothing. It should find a duff cell pretty easily. I know alarms draw a small amount of power continuously. Fortunately, alarms weren't invented when my car was built...!

(Still struggling with my aircon, mind)!
Sorry avo I must have missed this one.
No point in annoying an autospark as, as sure as night follows day or is it day follows night it is GUBBED.
You are lucky no alarm as that is probably the constant drain on battery.
One thing is fur sure tho...A 166 will eat a battery if car is not used on a regular basis.
on a brighter note ...you will not need aircon for at least 6 months:thumbs:

Pomeo

·
Registered
754 Posts
A 166 will eat a battery if car is not used on a regular basis.
Solution: a solar trickle charger. If I don't use my car for a month, I plug one in. Sits on the rear parcel shelf soaking the rays. You have to disconnect the battery to make it work ok otherwise the drain will overcome the tiny incoming current in winter. Tenner or sthg from Maplins

·
Registered
10,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Solution: a solar trickle charger. If I don't use my car for a month, I plug one in. Sits on the rear parcel shelf soaking the rays. You have to disconnect the battery to make it work ok otherwise the drain will overcome the tiny incoming current in winter. Tenner or sthg from Maplins
reasonable tip Paul. I have one..Whereas Pomeos rear cigar lighter is live all the time laceys isn't.
I did hook it up direct to the battery in the boot thro the cat flap but as you say the drain is almost comparable to the charge.
Pomeo

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Your engine sounds rough man!

Mine sounds like prrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrroooooooooooooom into seccond prrrrrrrrooooooon. Might wanna gets yrs checked out!

·
Registered
10,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your engine sounds rough man!

Mine sounds like prrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrroooooooooooooom into seccond prrrrrrrrooooooon. Might wanna gets yrs checked out!
Ah ken ahm deef...butt ewe cun heer it in lin con sheer.....yep maybees i need to do that but its as warm as toast but not as hot as stu mm and pf's were.:tut::cheese:

Pomeo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts